Need help on a new laptop (mine)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to do it, because I love my personal laptop, but it's time to get a new one.
My office computer tech takes care of all our office stuff, and I know there's some folks here with more expertise than me.
I need something at least as good as my old one. I'm using it for graphic design but want it fast, lite, and something I can stream with.
My current system is:

HP pavilion v7 notebook PC.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610 QM CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8 GB

System type: 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
What do you guys suggest and estimate of price please.
I would greatly appreciate the help and remember I'm not working on hacking North Korea with it but I do want a good set up for gaming etc.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to do it, because I love my personal laptop, but it's time to get a new one.
My office computer tech takes care of all our office stuff, and I know there's some folks here with more expertise than me.
I need something at least as good as my old one. I'm using it for graphic design but want it fast, lite, and something I can stream with.
My current system is:

HP pavilion v7 notebook PC.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610 QM CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8 GB

System type: 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
What do you guys suggest and estimate of price please.
I would greatly appreciate the help and remember I'm not working on hacking North Korea with it but I do want a good set up for gaming etc.
What's wrong with that one? Looks like a good setup to me.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's an ancient system... lol

Try looking at the Alienware laptops for an idea of configuration and price, if you want to do gaming and video editing.
The one I've got has gone through the ringer. Replaced the monitor and it's getting old. Battery will have to be replaced soon and just checking for a replacement.
Need suggestions that include things like "BUY THIS ONE" as my learning curve hardly breaks.
Yep it's

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-15-laptop/dkcwkblf066s?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjI1MDguOTksIk9DIjoiZGtjd2tibGYwNjZzIiwiUXR5IjoxLCJNb2RzIjpbeyJJZCI6MywiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiIzMkcyNDAwIiwiUHJpY2UiOjQwMC4wfV19LHsiSWQiOjY0NSwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJOVkRHRUYifV19LHsiSWQiOjMzLCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IkFEMSIsIlByaWNlIjo1OS4wfV19XX0%3D

Something like this 15" might work if you want light but powerful. Those 17" laptops can be heavy, though the extra screen space is really nice if you don't mind lugging the thing around.

Check the options though, as I left out most of them, not knowing if it's for work or a personal laptop. Stuff like MS Office or a carrying case, and I only included one year of warranty and accidental damage coverage.

However, you might send a PM to sixseven; he has in the recent past offered to act as intermediary buying pricey stuff from BestBuy for a substantial discount. Quite a few people have taken him up on his offer with great satisfaction.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it have to be widows? What design software are you running? Will it run on OSX? If so I have one word. Apple.

I have a dell laptop spec'd about like yours. It runs flawlessly with a fresh install of Windoze 7. But I hate to even boot it up. I hate windoze just that much after using a Mac. When I do replace it, it'll likely be a Macbook Air since the 17" Dell barely fits in my new bag and with it's 2 extended run batteries it's a heavy beast.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it have to be widows? What design software are you running? Will it run on OSX? If so I have one word. Apple.

I have a dell laptop spec'd about like yours. It runs flawlessly with a fresh install of Windoze 7. But I hate to even boot it up. I hate windoze just that much after using a Mac. When I do replace it, it'll likely be a Macbook Air since the 17" Dell barely fits in my new bag and with it's 2 extended run batteries it's a heavy beast.
I've always wanted to try a Mac but was leery of so much being windows based, it would have limited function. What problems would I have going to a Mac after a lifetime of windows?

Latest posts

Top Bottom