Need help on Ruger SP101 .22 revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just acquired a like new SP101, and it desperately needs some work.

The SA trigger is crisp, but way too heavy and the DA trigger causes the veins in my forehead to bulge...

I see that Wolff makes aftermarket springs, but I suspect that some internal polishing would also be helpful.

Can someone recommend a local source of help with this? I like the gun, but Ruger's "lawyer trigger" has to have help...

Thanks.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to youtube and type in trigger job for sp101-22.There is a guy that has 3 different trigger jobs that are very helpful.The basic trigger main spring replacement I believe he used is a wolf 12 pound trigger spring.He said if you go lighter than 12 pounds you will get light primer strikes.This 12 pound trigger spring will make the trigger pull quite a bit better than stock.I have a sp101-22 that I put over 10,000 rounds through and the trigger was still too hard to pull.I put in the new spring and my accuracy improved instantly.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just weighed the SA trigger, and it's a solid 7 pounds. That's ridiculous. Since my scale only goes to 8, no telling what the DA pull is, but I suspect it's north of 15 pounds.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger revolvers are not to terrible to do trigger jobs on. Haven't had a sp101 22 apart but I have done GP100's, Redhawk's, Single ten, Security Six's, Speed Six's ect.... Wolf springs and some mothers mag polish on the sear surfaces works wonders.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The DA trigger pull is either 15 or 16 pounds, cant' remember which.I had a K-22 masterpiece that I shot pretty good with but it was a little heavy for a 22 pistol.So when I got the sp101 that weighed 12 or 13 ounces less I was hoping I would shoot about the same.Not even close.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The DA trigger pull is either 15 or 16 pounds, cant' remember which.I had a K-22 masterpiece that I shot pretty good with but it was a little heavy for a 22 pistol.So when I got the sp101 that weighed 12 or 13 ounces less I was hoping I would shoot about the same.Not even close.
I have a K-22. One of the best single action triggers I've ever pulled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom