Need help with a Winchester 74

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired this 1949 Winchester 74.

20221126_180022.jpg

Overall condition is pretty rough but it works... almost.

It would fire, cycle, eject the empty case and chamber the next round but would not cock.

I found if I pressed in on the back of the bolt assembly it would work correctly most of the time. Not having access to anything else at the range, I came up with this field expedient "repair". As long as the "shim" stayed in place it would work flawlessly. With this in place I was able to hit a 6" plate at 100yrds 14 times in a row.

20221127_171529.jpg

Does anyone know the best way to fix this issue? Do I have to weld the hole in the reciever to add material and then file it back down to the correct shape?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no gunsmith by a long shot but I would think welding the pin a cheaper solution and less noticable. Or creating a washer that takes up the slack. I think the saying is work on the least valuable part .

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know about welding the receiver as a repair. I’d look over the trigger and firing pin mechanism and look for wear. Somebody may have tried to do some sort of trigger job on it in it’s life.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know about welding the receiver as a repair. I’d look over the trigger and firing pin mechanism and look for wear. Somebody may have tried to do some sort of trigger job on it in it’s life.

I watched that video. Didn't give me the insight I needed for this though.

To be fair, after what I found hiding in the action before I cleaned it, I'm kind of impressed it works as well as it does. Lol

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no gunsmith by a long shot but I would think welding the pin a cheaper solution and less noticable. Or creating a washer that takes up the slack. I think the saying is work on the least valuable part .
Can't weld the pin. It's part of the bolt assembly and integral to disassembly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom