Need help with a Winchester 74

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree, was just thinking of a more permanent resolution. Bushing it would be semi permanent and you wouldn't have to deal with a sleeve everytime you disassemble and reassemble.
could i guess if you want to drill the action. figured a tight sleeve would be easier.but could be removed if needed

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched that video. Didn't give me the insight I needed for this though.

To be fair, after what I found hiding in the action before I cleaned it, I'm kind of impressed it works as well as it does. Lol

Perhaps this is a better video, he breaks the gun down further. Also, mentions what to look for if the gun fails to cock.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the bolt apart, cleaned it, and reassembled. Didn't help any.
Maybe @SPDguns has some ideas?
Hard to say on this one without looking at it. Make sure the bolt goes back far enough for the trigger to engage the sear/rocker. Probable cause -Make sure the bolt springs and bolt spring rods are spotlessly clean.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to say on this one without looking at it. Make sure the bolt goes back far enough for the trigger to engage the sear/rocker. Probable cause -Make sure the bolt springs and bolt spring rods are spotlessly clean.

Thanks for the response. I'll take it apart again and soak it overnight this time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom