Need help with AR red dot optic selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Wing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I am looking for a budget optic that I can use for plinking but something that is also versatile enough for other applications. I really want to be able to slap it on a shotgun so that my son can use it this Spring Turkey season. This is what I am down to as well as the positives and negatives I see associated with each. Have I overlooked and optic or am I missing something in my evaluation of these selections? I am thinking that the KillFlash would be pretty important when turkey hunting. Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

1) Primary Arms Micro MD-08 (new) $120 with mount. (If this was in stock it would have already been ordered and I would not be posting this question)
Pro: Price, size, weight, comes with a KillFlash, 3 MOA dot
Con: Out of stock until maybe April.

2) Bushnell trs-25 (new) $95 with mount (If this had an available KillFlash it would have already been ordered and I would not be posting this question)
Pro: Price, size, weight, availability, good reviews, 3 MOA dot
Con: No KillFlash available

3) Vortex StrikeFire (used) $180 with mount and KillFlash
Pro: Lifetime warrenty, read REALLY good reviews, KillFlash available, availability
Con: Cost, not sure how much better it is than the previous two options, not sure how important the KillFlash is for my applications, 4 MOA dot (not a deal breaker)

4) Vortex Sparc (used) $210 with mount and KillFlash
Pro: Size, weight, Lifetime warrenty, KillFlash available, availability, 2MOA dot
Con: Cost, not sure how much better it is than the previous three options, not sure how important the KillFlash is for my applications

Last edited:

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you were. Well almost. Ultimately I decided to go with an EOTECH you can find them for $379 online. It was really hard to justify even to myself, however the reviews, and resell value, quality, looks, etc made it worth it. I wasnt compromising on anything.

Sooner Wing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you were. Well almost. Ultimately I decided to go with an EOTECH you can find them for $379 online. It was really hard to justify even to myself, however the reviews, and resell value, quality, looks, etc made it worth it. I wasnt compromising on anything.

Which one did you go with?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bushnell makes an Eotech knockoff that works well enough and Primary Arms makes an Aimpoint Micro knockoff that works well enough. I have the Primary Arms and a friend went the Bushnell route. Both are used on 5.56 AR's though I am confident they would hold up to 12 GA as well.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a vortex sparc, and love it. I've shot with aimpoints and eotechs. But this thing is lighter. And WELL made! It also comes with 3 different riser heights, and a 2x magnifier. But 210 used is not a good price. I paid 199 at academy for it brand new. I'm right down highway 37 from you in Newcastle, so if you want to have a look/handle one before you buy /decide (always a wise idea), just let me know, I'm always willing to help a brother out.

Sooner Wing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a vortex sparc, and love it. I've shot with aimpoints and eotechs. But this thing is lighter. And WELL made! It also comes with 3 different riser heights, and a 2x magnifier. But 210 used is not a good price. I paid 199 at academy for it brand new. I'm right down highway 37 from you in Newcastle, so if you want to have a look/handle one before you buy /decide (always a wise idea), just let me know, I'm always willing to help a brother out.

Might take you up on that. I just found a Primary Arms Micro with an AD quick detach so I grabbed it. Would like to swing by and check out that Sparc if I get a chance.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll want a riser block on the AR with the TRS-25, it brings it into co witness with the backup irons.

The one on the bottom is wearing a TRS-25 that's my rifle. My wife's rifle is wearing a PFI Rapid Reticle.

No zero shift, nothings broken loose and began moving and well over 5k through my rifle with the bushnell. I wish it had a better battery life or an auto off on feature but it's a hell of a deal at $95

i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_IMG_0320.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom