Need help with identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you were finished with an arrow head, what would you do with it next, just fit it to a shaft and you’d be done or???
I just made them for a hobby. I do have a friend in Stillwater that is totally traditional that got me started. He builds his own bows, uses sinue for strings and securing the flint arrowhead to a river cane shaft he fletches with turkey feathers.
He's actually killed two deer and a bear in Canada with his self made bows and arrows. Tans snake skins to put on the bows for camo and leather quivers for the arrows.
He sells the bows and arrows as a set to anyone that wants to purchase them. Your wallet must be deep to buy one.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can only imagine, I shoot a Black Widow and would think his would be a great set up being all hand made.

We live on a place that’s close to an old Indian camp, dad and grand dad found a lot of arrow heads, spear points, beads, grinding bowls etc. back in the day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can only imagine, I shoot a Black Widow and would think his would be a great set up being all hand made.

We live on a place that’s close to an old Indian camp, dad and grand dad found a lot of arrow heads, spear points, beads, grinding bowls etc. back in the day.
Very cool they have found those artifacts.
We toured the Museum of Natural History near Branson Missouri last year that is owned by the same person that build Bass Pro.
He had an entire room dedicated to the grinding bowls. One of the info boards said that most Native Americans died from gum disease because the grinding bowls introduced small particles of rock into their diet causing premature tooth wear and subsequent gum disease that became fatal.
That intrigued me, so coming home looked at how our teeth and gums can have an effect on our total health.
I would suggest all do the same as its a major health factor.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, out on the friends airboat again today prowling sandbars.
View attachment 223919
Found a couple of things of interest.
As I’ve been told, the two items on the right side of the pic are the outer enamel of prehistoric bison?
The cylindrical object on the left is petrified. Very hard.
I called it a petrified Dino turd when first looking at it, but with the pattern on the outside, being perfectly round, with the little protruding object on one end, it looks more like an intestine?
@Neanderthal

View attachment 223923View attachment 223922View attachment 223924

I'm not sure what the large cylindrical fossil is, but it could be related to a crinoid stem. The complete tooth is bison and the smaller piece is the coolest! Believe it or not, that's tooth enamel from a mastodon; It appears to be the very tip of one of the molars.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy and I went out on the Arkansas river below Kaw Dam yesterday in his airboat to just cruise around and walk sandbars looking for arrowheads or artifacts.
Found one point. Appears to be Kay County chert because of the slight pink color (doesn’t show in the pic because of lighting) that occurs after heat treating the flint that is naturally grey in color.
Any amateur paleontologist on here to help identify the period in history when this was knapped?
@Neanderthal

View attachment 222938View attachment 222939
Nice find....My uncle's ranch just outside of Comanche Texas is a great place to find arrowheads after a good rain or after plowing...I enjoy the hunt almost as much as finding artifacts

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the large cylindrical fossil is, but it could be related to a crinoid stem. The complete tooth is bison and the smaller piece is the coolest! Believe it or not, that's tooth enamel from a mastodon; It appears to be the very tip of one of the molars.
That’s amazing we found that little piece that is a part of a mastodon. Going into the collection labeled as such.
The big cylindrical piece is really puzzling to me. We actually found a crinoid stem but forgot to post it in the earlier pic. It’s much larger than the crinoid stem and shaped differently on the exterior. Not really segmented.
I’d be happy to ship it to you with return postage at my expense if you want to get a better look at it.

978298C1-BD42-40CC-9AA0-A9E6B54AEC66.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's cool you find these @dennishoddy. I probably walk/drive atvs over more than I see. So far, a small shine operation (no idea how old).
It's kind of like hunting morel mushrooms in the spring. You have to acquire the "eye" to recognize them. Once you see one or two shrooms, you start looking around and there are dozens that just slipped by you.
You look for something somewhat shiny that indicates flint. If your in an area full of flint it's a good area that might hold artifacts as that may have been an encampment or just a resting place for a few days.
People ask how can so many artifacts be found in these midwest river bottoms. It's because the natives hunted these rivers for many thousands of years. That is where all the fish and game were for the most part other than the roaming herds of bison. River bottoms move due to erosion exposing new artifacts that used to be on the banks and so on.
Before the natives hunted it, there were millions of years of most of the middle and NW parts of the country being under the sea, which is why we see the crinoid fossils that look like plants but are actually animals, and prior to that it was a jungle with mammals like mastodons roaming everywhere.
If anything I've said is wrong, I hope @Neanderthal will correct it. I'm just a rank amature at this stuff trying to learn more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom