Need info on 38 special loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So my snubbie shoots high and reading up I run into get a lighter bullet. Would rather stay with the 158 LSWCHP .
I think to get POI down I need to get a faster burning powder than W231, so I was thinking trying tightgroup.
Anybody see any problems with my idea or have another option?

Heavy bullet +slow powder+light charge = higher POI

Light bullet+ Faster Powder+ heavy charge=Lower POI

I have loaded up to 4 grains of 231 and that shows no drop in POI, while I am showing zero pressure issues Hogden shows 3.7 is max and another source shows 3.9 and a couple of loading forums have people going to 4.2 -4.5. Not wanting to go past 4 grains with this non +P pistol.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m curious why you don’t want to shoot a light bullet. Standard pressure loads like the target 148gr wadcutters are enjoyable to shoot from a snub.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious why you don’t want to shoot a light bullet. Standard pressure loads like the target 148gr wadcutters are enjoyable to shoot from a snub.

My gun shoots the wadcutters high as well. This gun is going to be a truck gun/ back up SD.
I try to keep the same type guns using the same type ammo to help keep down the inventory.
If I have to go with a lighter bullet to get the POI right I will, just want to try with the 158 grain first.
My wifes revolver shoots both the 158 SWCHP and the 148 wadcutter POA=POI

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heh. Had to do it.

CoCGripper.jpg

But seriously, what gun are we talking about? I know that S&W and Colt used to regulate for 158 gr. loads. In my experience the difference between standard and +P were pretty negligible. A lighter bullet will generally shoot lower, but I've also seen POI change by a few inches with nothing but changing brands of ammo, so nothing is written in stone.

My new model 642 shoots 135 +P gold dots and 148 HBWCs just a tad low but it's just not enough to worry about. I shoot 147 HBWCs because they aren't painful.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a 1990 Taurus M85, Holding onto the pistol is not an issue work construction for a living. My wife has a snubbie as well and it shoots POA. Both pistols are full metal and about the same size. At first I thought it was the grips so I put a talon on it and zero difference. I also shot my wifes with little show grips and had zero issues.
This pistol shoots center of target (in SA. DA is a pig, just installed springs to help with that LOL) So Hopefully these 125's I have coming help me out . If not I will break out the welder and stack some metal on that front sight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom