Need new 5 ton HVAC system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you didn't have sand in your floor ducts, I've seen a reverse upflow using the floor ducts as the return. Dang, I wish you the best, I'd do as Shadowrider and another poster said, seal the floor ducts and have an upflow unit installed.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Run new ducting in the attic and cement seal all floor ducts. I did that and it was the best thing I did on the new install. New system cut my cooling bill by about 60% as near as I can tell. I only installed a 14 SEER unit but was getting about 16+ SEER because they were able to locate vents and returns strategically and use an upgraded coil. Do this instead of using the uber efficiency whatever SEER rated unit of the day. My installer told me it would take the life of the unit for it to pay back the price increase. This doesn't apply to the gas heat though, just the A/C.

After replacing my AC unit my summer cooling bills are $60, my winter heating bills are $50-$60. The freezing cold we ad in February my heating bill was $63, nat gas, kept the thermostat at 83 during that cold spell, house was nice and cozy.

Well worth the $5400 it costs me.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You lose a good bit of energy in the attic, no matter how insulated the duct work is. It's cold in the winter (when you're transporting hot air), and hot in the summer (when you're transporting cold air).

Just a thought. Luck.
:drunk2:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
After replacing my AC unit my summer cooling bills are $60, my winter heating bills are $50-$60. The freezing cold we ad in February my heating bill was $63, nat gas, kept the thermostat at 83 during that cold spell, house was nice and cozy.

Well worth the $5400 it costs me.
Uhhh... triple that and quadrupla that.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was me and you could baby the current unit thru the summer....

I'd break it up into smaller projects.

1)Get someone to layout what you need and where for ductwork. Get it installed ASAP before it gets too hot (use pre insulated boots)

2) this summer try to acquire the furnace and evap coil. Install in fall so it will be in service this following winter season.

3) this winter season try to acquire the new condenser and copper (hopefully copper prices are better by then). Install in springtime.

4) remove old equipment after the new is up and running

Latest posts

Top Bottom