Need new 5 ton HVAC system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was me and you could baby the current unit thru the summer....

I'd break it up into smaller projects.

1)Get someone to layout what you need and where for ductwork. Get it installed ASAP before it gets too hot (use pre insulated boots)

2) this summer try to acquire the furnace and evap coil. Install in fall so it will be in service this following winter season.

3) this winter season try to acquire the new condenser and copper (hopefully copper prices are better by then). Install in springtime.

4) remove old equipment after the new is up and running

Nice but two things I'm not counting on. One, the prices we were expecting on items we researched for the bathroom increased exponentially in price in the three months it took to get a contractor. We paid over $600 more for the same items we had prices for earlier. The prices in your scenario would have to go down or stay the same. I'm not willing with Prez numb nutz in office to take that chance.

Two, the rebates are factory and OGE and have expiration dates and finite monies with first come first served limitations kind of forcing you to act now to take advantage of them while active.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a co-worker that has had a broken AC system for years (but the heater works fine).
He just buys window AC units and cools only the rooms he wants. Not cool enough? Buy another unit.
He's happy with the approach.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice but two things I'm not counting on. One, the prices we were expecting on items we researched for the bathroom increased exponentially in price in the three months it took to get a contractor. We paid over $600 more for the same items we had prices for earlier. The prices in your scenario would have to go down or stay the same. I'm not willing with Prez numb nutz in office to take that chance.

Two, the rebates are factory and OGE and have expiration dates and finite monies with first come first served limitations kind of forcing you to act now to take advantage of them while active.

No matter what a contractor may promise those rebates are not guaranteed no matter when you apply. Don't count on them if that is what is going to make the deal work.

You say... "I already have two estimates and my eyeballs are bigger than my wallet" Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but in my head I think maybe that you'd have a hard time swinging the cost of total replacement in one swoop. Breaking it up into pieces makes it easier to pay for and you wouldn't have to fork over all the money right away. Also, Installing duct work is labor heavy. If you could do it yourself that is like money in the bank.

Either way not really a problem I could relate to. I took the time many years ago to learn how to do things like this myself. Have the tools too.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
No matter what a contractor may promise those rebates are not guaranteed no matter when you apply. Don't count on them if that is what is going to make the deal work.

You say... "I already have two estimates and my eyeballs are bigger than my wallet" Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but in my head I think maybe that you'd have a hard time swinging the cost of total replacement in one swoop. Breaking it up into pieces makes it easier to pay for and you wouldn't have to fork over all the money right away. Also, Installing duct work is labor heavy. If you could do it yourself that is like money in the bank.

Either way not really a problem I could relate to. I took the time many years ago to learn how to do things like this myself. Have the tools too.
In my younger days I could do it myself. I am old and beat up with a heart condition and bad knees. So bad I cannot even kneel anymore let alone crawl. If I would happen do get down on my knees I'd have to call 911 to get back up. I make sure all the physical stuff I can do I do stooping or standing. I can afford it but it will cut into my retirement and I don't want that.
The wife's unnecessary remodeling of the house has already taken a chunk.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal opinion of anyone that puts a air handler in the attic needs their head bashed in. Have you ever been in the attic in the summer. I've been in a few that I didn't know if I was going to make it out working on a/c systems. Package system outside with duct ran in attic, ok. duct in attic with air handler/furnace in a closet, ok. Just don't put the whole thing in an attic. It sucks @ss when you have to work on the thing.
We had to replace our unit in the attic and the outside unit. I ran the attic fan and supplied direct fans for them while they were working on it to help them in that heat. Agree it sucks.
It's a long story, but back in the late 80's a couple of brothers started a H&A business. They got a foot in the door at a company I worked for that built drill bits for the oil industry.
During the boom times the company bought dozens of machine tools that required AC in the electronic cabinets.
The brothers didn't understand international schematic diagrams, but I'd been through training on them so I got them up to speed. The second issue is that foreign AC systems don't operate the same as US systems and they were afraid that their techs wouldn't be able to come in and service them. It was only an addition of a relay and some wiring that made them operate the way US systems do. Their company serviced those units and many more until 2008 when the bit company shut the door.
Fast forward to getting my new system installed. When it was complete, we never got a bill. I called Greg about not getting a bill but never got an answer.
One day we got a paid in full receipt and a thank you card. I hadn't worked for that company in 20 years.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my younger days I could do it myself. I am old and beat up with a heart condition and bad knees. So bad I cannot even kneel anymore let alone crawl. If I would happen do get down on my knees I'd have to call 911 to get back up. I make sure all the physical stuff I can do I do stooping or standing. I can afford it but it will cut into my retirement and I don't want that.
The wife's unnecessary remodeling of the house has already taken a chunk.
Getting old sucks and I am sorry to hear about your Knees. I got another crazy idea for you. What about installing a good name brand mini split system with heads in the rooms? should be cheaper, would still qualify for rebates and are really efficient

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like these motel units?

wall-air-conditioner.jpg

She wants a quiet system.

I could live really cheaply on my own. :bolt:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Your photo is that of a ductless mini split; evaporator inside, condenser outside. A motel unit is a packaged terminal heat pump.
I had a ducted mini split installed for the 3 rooms on the south and west side of the house. Ceiling ducts and warmest/coldest room got the cold air return and the thermostat. It's silent when running since the fan/evaporator unit is in the attic.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After you get the ducts run in the attic. have about 2 feet of insulation blown in. even if you have had that done before, their trampling around up there will pack it down. it needs to be fluffy to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom