Need schooled on Ruger LCR’s and the .327 Fed Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
In the search for a carry pistol for my mother and the S&W EZ she doesn’t like so we have narrowed it down to a revolver. I’ve gone from thinking the minimum caliber needed has gotta be a .22 magnum but then watched some videos and read some things and a .22lr with good quality ammo is better than nothing at all especially considering she most will not have to use the thing. So from there I was thinking a S&W 43c would be a good revolver since it’s a J-Frame and we seem to prefer S&W in my family but most of the other calibers I was looking at are offered in the Ruger LCR so kinda leaning towards the Ruger now… she has held one and did seem to like it but it could use a smaller grip to fit her better.. are those even available?

I was looking at their website and saw that it comes in all the different calibers and one caught my eye… .327 Fed Mag. Got to doing some research and you can shoot 5 different calibers out of one revolver and it has a capacity of 6 rounds too.

.32acp, .32Long, .32short, .32H&R Mag, .327 FedMag can all be shot out of it. So my question is… for recoil sensitive shooters are the other calibers easy to even buy to try out or am I wasting my time and should just go ahead and look for a .22lr J-Frame or LCR.

Thanks again for your input, guys.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Nice choice only because I like shooting 32 acp out of my 32 revolvers. However, the 327 is a screamer! It’s almost like shooting 357 from a j frame. There are some decent choices for 32 acp defensive ammo.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow last month, that has been a revolver guy for years. He now carries the LCR that you are considering and wishes he had found it long ago. I have talked to many gun fanatics, but this guy should be doing commercials for Ruger. He sparked a bit of interest in my mind.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have outfitted 5 female, recoil sensitive, friends and family shooters with the Ruger .327Mag. Everyone of them like them very much. They have some sort of cam mechanism that makes the trigger easy and smooth. The varrity of "loads" makes them very user friendly. For new shooters, I start them with .32 shorts to get them used to the mechanics of aiming and shooting. Very low recoil and "bang". Once they get used to it I move them along gradully to more powerful loads.

Full bore .327 Mags can be quite a handful. For most the H&R Mag seems to be the most they can handle. For long practice sessions, I recommend .32 Longs.

IMO, best SD round is Hornady Critical Defense .32 H&R Mag.

You are pretty far away, but if you come over near Tulsa anytime, I'll let her shoot mine to she what she thinks.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the 327 fed mag cartridge. I have a Ruger SP101 and a couple Smith and Wesson 632s. They are all fun to shoot and like others have said I like the choices in ammo. I don't carry it for defense and probably never will, but definitely better than a 22 I think.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the 327 LCR, but I've never seen one in person.

I strongly recommend trying to test a 43c before buying one if you decide to go that direction. My experience was that that the combination of extremely light gun and a fairly stiff trigger made it difficult to shoot accurately. I'm a big S&W fan, but that one was a disappointment for me.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make a 43C sister in 22mag. It's called a.....brain fart. Lost it. Googling.
351C.
I always wanted a 43C. Passively looking and waiting for one sub-$600.
I immediately brushed off the LCR in 327. For years. Then I finally googled it and it's a revolver and caliber I'd own.
They made an extremely uncommon LCR with a copper cylinder I loved but it was only available in certain calibers.
geTal1TYpDc.jpg
Smith-Wesson-Model-351C.jpg

Last edited:

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trigger press on the LCR .38 spl. and the .22lr ( I have both) is very different. The .22lr is extremely heavy, Where the LCR .38 and 9MM trigger press is quite pleasant. Firing a full defensive load in a light firearm like the LCR can be challenging for a novice shooter even an experienced shooter.

I would try shooting the LCR .22lr before buying -- according to the Ruger LCR instruction manual ( page 15) the LCR can be dry fired without damaging the firearm ( most .22lr revolvers warn not to dry fire). If this is your choice it gives you opportunity to develop a muscle memory for the trigger.

The LCRX with a exposed hammer might be a choice, with both double action and single action available. According to the catalog the LCRX is only available in .22lr with the 3 inch barrel ( This version is one of my favorites) the tamer grips that come with the 3” version seem narrower ( no finger grips) then the standard grips that come on the LCR, a bantam boot grip is also available ( I would try before you buy).

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/models.html
https://shopruger.com/LCR-Hogue-Bantam-Boot-Grip/productinfo/19927/
Smith & Wesson used to have a DA/SA .22lr with a 1 7/8” barrel (317) with a exposed hammer but according to their catalog, it is only available in a 3 inch barrel. This is also an excellent firearm, "J “ frame .22lr with a hammer, extremely hard to come by.

Good luck on your quest for a firearm for your Mom !!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom