Need Skilled Dam Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've contacted about 8 different contractors for dirt work or pond digging,
only had 3 return calls so I know what you are going through.
least they could do is call back and say they're too busy or whatever.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've contacted about 8 different contractors for dirt work or pond digging,
only had 3 return calls so I know what you are going through.
least they could do is call back and say they're too busy or whatever.
I bought a place in January 2015 that had a newly built pond on it, and a section of dam washed out in May due to heavy rain and lack of an adequate spillway. I called several dirt contractors, and every one said they were interested in the job but never came to look at it. In 2017, I got mad about the situation and decided to fix it myself, and I discovered pretty quick that it wasn’t rocket science. The first thing I did was widen and lower the spillway, and I used that dirt along with some from around the edge of the pond to fill in the washout in the dam. I put erosion control mat over the fresh dirt and planted ryegrass over that area. Problem solved.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you finally got the work done.
I contacted the NRCS about our pond that was silted in and bone dry in the three year drought back in the early 2000's. Said they had no money available to clean out a pond with an existing dam, but they did have cost share money to build a new pond.
I didn't understand the reasoning and just paid to have mine partially cleaned out.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you finally got the work done.
I contacted the NRCS about our pond that was silted in and bone dry in the three year drought back in the early 2000's. Said they had no money available to clean out a pond with an existing dam, but they did have cost share money to build a new pond.
I didn't understand the reasoning and just paid to have mine partially cleaned out.
Check back with your NRCS office. In our area they are paying $7500 for pond clean outs due to the drought.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My pond was still wet, not full but the spring was still keeping the pond with some water. Clearing out the cattails and some cedars in the immediate area will help. Got it done just before it started raining. Won't check on it until after deer season is over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom