Need some advice re a shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesNathan

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi,
New here. Also more or less new to firearms, altho we've owned a Bersa Thunder 380 automatic for several years. Only fired it once in practice. Need to find a range near MWC and learn to use the thing.

We moved here from Florida, where the law says, if someone breaks into your home, you have the right to kill them. No need to back up, no need to apologize. Don't know what the Oklahoma law is. Hope we never need to find out. Just this week bought my wife a Mace brand police model tear gas/;pepper spray unit.

We live in a nice quiet middle class neighborhood where trouble is rare. Two days ago, the home two doors up the street was broken into. It appears they might have been in the house for half an hour or more. They literally trashed the inside of the house, broke glassware, collectables, spilled red wine every where, and stole jewelry that, as it turns out, was mostly worthless costume junk.

There was no need to trash the house. It just makes one's blood boil when something like this happen close to home.

So I'm in the process of activating an alarm system that came with our house and we've never turned on. I'm wondering if the pistol is potent enough to stop somebody. I worry about preloading the clip...how long before the clip spring weakens and causes a jam. But I also worry about not having it ready to shoot, if or when the time comes.

And I'm wondering about buying a used shotgun. An automatic that can be preloaded with a half dozen or so shells. Maybe a .12 gauge. And I'm wondering what the Oklahoma law would say if I shot somebody dead in my home following a breakin.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

Wes

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
buy a pump not a semi-auto. semi-autos can jam - not good.

u do not need the high priced tatical shotguns with pistol grip, high capacity mag, expensive sights, etc.

a shotgun is rated #1 home defense weapon over handgun and rifle. a 2 3/4 inch 12 guage shell holds 9 .32 caliber pellets. so it is like shooting a bg with 9 .32 caliber handguns at once. pentration is very good.

a regular shotgun holds about 5 shells.

do not use birdshoot which is size # 7.5, 8, 9. no pentration.

if u can find a pump at pawn, paper, or a person for around 150 to 230 it will work.

now, the length of a shotgun inside of a house can be a problem. getting around a corner can takes time. u can cut the barrel to 18" min to be legal. this should open the choke up and give u a good pattern. u can test your pattern at about 15 feet and see. a shorter barrel can u maneouver it easier in the house.

now if money is not an issue, but a new tatical pump with high magazine capacity and short barrel and you got it.

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The nice thing about shotguns, especially pumps, are that cheap ones are just as functional for what you are wanting as expensive ones. Likely just racking the pump will be enough to send someone scampering away.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cdnn investment has some remy's for under 200 bucks. Call them. They were in the last dealer catalog. used police guns, bead sight was $169, rifle sights a little more. I would imagine lots of wear, but hell it is a remington. who cares.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
oh and btw, springs don't weaken from being compressed or uncompressed. They weaken over a long time from use...ie: loading and shooting.

WesNathan

New to the site!
Reaction score
ssgrock3,
Good to know clip springs don't normally weaken from non-use. I'll keep the clip loaded and in the weapon. Will also check with CDNN Investments re a used pump.

Sooner,

That's what I was thinking.

Wes

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't overlook the advantages of a 20 guage - must less recoil for smaller shooters and it pretty much has as much impact on the target as a 12 guage.

Do go cutting down the barrel unless you know exactly how the legal length is measured.

You might check out this seller: http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html He seems to have lots of shotguns. He treated me right on a used G17.

gyolai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
buy a pump not a semi-auto. semi-autos can jam - not good.

u do not need the high priced tatical shotguns with pistol grip, high capacity mag, expensive sights, etc.

a shotgun is rated #1 home defense weapon over handgun and rifle. a 2 3/4 inch 12 guage shell holds 9 .32 caliber pellets. so it is like shooting a bg with 9 .32 caliber handguns at once. pentration is very good.

a regular shotgun holds about 5 shells.

do not use birdshoot which is size # 7.5, 8, 9. no pentration.

if u can find a pump at pawn, paper, or a person for around 150 to 230 it will work.

now, the length of a shotgun inside of a house can be a problem. getting around a corner can takes time. u can cut the barrel to 18" min to be legal. this should open the choke up and give u a good pattern. u can test your pattern at about 15 feet and see. a shorter barrel can u maneouver it easier in the house.

now if money is not an issue, but a new tatical pump with high magazine capacity and short barrel and you got it.

i use a Benelli M3. it is set for pump for defense. because if it can go wrong it will. i also use frangible ammo for defense. not buckshot. if i shoot and miss i dont want to kill a neighbor or a family member. be safe. a weapon will only be beneficial if you can control and handle every aspect of it. if you own a little 380 auto but never shoot it my advice would be to get a big dog for home protection then learn to shoot. because if your scared of a weapon then you or someone else could get killed.

so are you military??

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you want to bring up high performance weapons, I used a beretta 1201 semi....very fast semi, full of buckshot and never was concerned with hiccups. It didn't like cheapy birdshot. With the benelli cocking knob you probably could clear it faster than a pump if you ever had to. These can be found for 450-600 or so used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom