Need some AR help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
you can put a wood dowel if you want. Only problem is you will have a splintered wood dowel you will have to drive your steel rod through to remove the stuck steel case. I do five or so of these every couple of months for customers. Trust me use a steel rod. Don't use aluminum or anything soft you will regret it.
Well, your the expert. :)

Please explain to me how a steel casing scratching your chamber is any worse than scratching up the rifling in your barrel with a steel rod.

Last edited:

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I don't shoot steel case ammo, I have friends/family that do and have had to both morter cases out and perform "surgery'.

Remove upper from lower, remove BCG.

Spray, some Break Free. Kroil or PB Blaster down the business end. Drink a beer while you wait ten minutes for the penetrating oil to go to work and then use a solid brass rod and smack the case out backwards.

I have seen some very stuck cases that mortaring wouldn't remove but the brass rod/lube trick works every time. The extractor likely tore the lip of the case off and mortaring won't work for that.

Similar to the below video.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Push in stock all the way, mortar the hell out of it. Hit the ground and pull the charging handle at the same time. I'm sure a lil clp or oil wouldn't hurt

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Issue resolved.
A 3/16" rod slid right into the barrel, very little wiggle at all. One decent tap with a hammer and it popped right out. The casing had a chunk out of it on the back side, like the extractor tore a piece off.
I did search on what a mortar effort would entail, thought I would try the rod method first though.

I appreciate all the feedback, it helped make this a less stressful repair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom