Need some AR help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A hardened steel cleaning rod is the best thing to use. Soft rods brass, aluminum, or coated rods pickup and embed crap in them if it falls in the dirt or on the floor. Then they are like a file to your bore. Millions of people have been using good hard steel cleaning rods for hundreds of years with great success.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only AR platform I own I would ever consider running steel through would be the e2 chamber on my POF. But stil would never really do it. Running steel ammo is like buying a corvette but running e85 regular to save money. Sort of silly

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with steel ammo in 5.56 is the whole deminsions of the cartridge. The lack of taper to the case body is compounded by the lack of strong extraction on Stoner rifles. Just compare a 7.62x39 case to a 5.56x45 the tiniest bit of primary extraction has the combloc round free. Not true in the 5.56. Combine that with all the goo on steel cases to prevent rust and you have a formula for torn extractors and ruined chambers. That's why in 5.56 use the case material uncle sugar uses

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you ever mix steel and brass cases? If you do and have never had a jam, you got a unicorn.
I shoot both. When I am just going to plink I will almost always shoot steel. Several years ago I was told that I would break my extractor. I figured "oh well" I am going to have to spend $5.00. Extractor is still working great. I have a Stag that I have had for years and my beater gun is a PSA. They both shoot steel with no problems.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot both. When I am just going to plink I will almost always shoot steel. Several years ago I was told that I would break my extractor. I figured "oh well" I am going to have to spend $5.00. Extractor is still working great. I have a Stag that I have had for years and my beater gun is a PSA. They both shoot steel with no problems.
Wai

Hey with new barrels and bolts as cheap as they are why not risk ruining them. I mean you can change a barrel in 15 minutes and a bolt assembly in a few seconds

Latest posts

Top Bottom