Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Soak in vinegar/water mix and neutralize with baking soda/water mix = rust gone. Then oil it.

If it weren't damascus I'd probably use plain vinegar full strength. That would only take a few minutes judging from the looks of it.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work with pattern welded steel a lot. since it has some rust you can assume its a high carbon pattern welded steel. The good thing about it is you can sand it down or clean it without too much worry, If you remove or lighten the pattern, you then simply re-etch the steel to bring the pattern back out. I can help you with this however you have to assume the risk there is always a risk when the exact type of steel is unknown. I attached some pics of some Damascus knives I just finished so you can see what sanded Damascus looks like, 1st pic is basically shaped sanded Damascus blank cut from a larger billet, next pic the blades have been deeply etched, then the finished product.

Attachments

• 20211231_060120.jpg
    20211231_060120.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220101_135829.jpg
    20220101_135829.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220109_134507.jpg
    20220109_134507.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 47

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it needs to be white vinegar or a "cleaning" vinegar.
Not just any vinegar would do the job.

The cleaning vinegar, & let it soak for a while, then brush with a copper wire brush & it should come out nice. Then treat to an oil bath to keep any rust from coming back.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work with pattern welded steel a lot. since it has some rust you can assume its a high carbon pattern welded steel. The good thing about it is you can sand it down or clean it without too much worry, If you remove or lighten the pattern, you then simply re-etch the steel to bring the pattern back out. I can help you with this however you have to assume the risk there is always a risk when the exact type of steel is unknown. I attached some pics of some Damascus knives I just finished so you can see what sanded Damascus looks like, 1st pic is basically shaped sanded Damascus blank cut from a larger billet, next pic the blades have been deeply etched, then the finished product.
I gave me best friend the knife I got from you. I REGRET it VERY much, and keep trying to get it back. He won't budge.lol I need another one of your knives. Anyone out there looking for a knife, this is the guy. Sorry ti hi-jack

YukonKnife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could be either a good quality or a low grade Damascus steel, possibly made in Pakistan or India, possibly elsewhere.

The original Wootz Damascus steel got it's great qualities of strength, hardness, elasticity, and toughness because the ancient makers were forging and forming carbon nanotubes and diamondoid wires into the iron matrix, either knowingly or unknowingly, when they used certain carbon-based leaves and organic materials in the forging process. This gave the blades flexible, elastic, and tough bodies with diamond-hard edges that were even able to self heal from being battered in metal on metal battles.

YukonKnife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Buckyball (Buckminsterfullerene carbon sixty or carbon seventy) blade with some iron (they are hollow molecules so they can actually have iron atoms placed inside them and on their surfaces) would make a super blade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom