Need some tutoring...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(If this needs moved, please advise or do so)
Summed up, my wife and I did our first "competitive" shooting yesterday, just a small bowling pin shoot @ Tin Star in Weatherford. We had fun, met some great folks that have been into competition for a while, and got bit by the bug a little. Problem is, I know NOTHING about it! I was in the revolver class and she did the semiauto centerfire class. We were told about lots of shoots in OKC, but we are 2.5 hrs west of there. So here are a few topics I'd like to know more about, if anyone is willing:

1) What would be some good beginner comp's to try out first? And is there any closer than OKC to the western side of the state? I've seen all the acronyms, IDPA, USPSA, etc, but am ignorant on the whole affair

2) My wife has a G17 she would probably use initially, and has brought up wanting a red dot optic on it. What are some decent, economical options for it? And also, any suggestions on trigger upgrades (its totally stock Gen 3)...like an Apex kit, etc?

3) I personally have no double stack handguns, as I enjoy 1911's and revolvers more myself. How do the 1911's do in some of the comps, being a single stack mag? How about red dot options on these? If I do decide on a different gun, what caliber is better for these type shoots, 45 or 9? (On a sidenote, I found a Canik 9mm setup that comes with extended mags, optics mounting plates, etc for a reasonable looking price...good/bad/neutral?)

Thanks in advance for any help an old country boy might get

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@clintbailey, we have some smart folks on this topic... @dennishoddy shoots and runs a bunch of these type matches and his club puts them on as well. @Annie, is a shooter in these type matches as well. @Sanford is a bowling pin shooter and takes trophies frequently. There are many more, just stand by and you will get answers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this might take awhile......The most popular of the shooting competitions are in no order of popularity, USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge.
You get the occasional bowling pin match and run and gun matches thrown into the mix.
I'm not familiar with the rules of IDPA, so I'll leave that to others. USPSA has different divisions for the type of gun you want to shoot. Revolver, Production (basically a pistol as it comes from the factory) which a lot of shooters start in, single stack which allows all 1911's and other pistols using a single stack mag and allows some modifications to the pistol.
Then we have Limited 10 which was popular during the magazine restriction days where you have to shoot a single stack using an extended mag to get 10 rounds. Real popular in New York and California right now.
Then you can shoot limited division which allows double stack mags with extensions to a certain length, mag wells and different modifications to the pistol. This is the most popular division where lots of shooters compete.
One of the newest divisions is carry optics where a red dot can be mounted on a pistol with mag restrictions. I'm not totally familiar with the regs for that division as its new and I don't shoot it.
Then you go to the open gun division . Money talks and BS walks here. Optics muzzle brakes, trigger mods, and anything you can think of is allowed pretty much.
The newest division in USPSA is PCC. Pistol Caliber Carbine. Most shoot ar platform 9mm although .40 and .45 are allowed.

You're only competing against others in your own division and class. Division being the type of gun and class is your ranking in that division. The better you shoot, the higher your class.
Steel challenge is where I'd suggest someone interested in competition get started. A box stock 10-22 rifle or a factory semiauto pistol or .22 revolver will get you in the game.
Its basically speed shooting at steel plates. You're competing against others in your class here as well.
Rifle can be iron sights, or optics. You only compete against others with the same sighting platform. If you have irons, you won't shoot against somebody with a red dot or scope.
Pistol the same way. Irons or optics.
You stand in a box, and shoot at the 5 pieces of steel one time each until you hit the stop plate where your time stops. You can pick up misses by shooting again, but not after you hit the designated stop plate. You repeat 5 times per stage. You slowest score is thrown out, so a jam or something might not hurt your overall time that much.
That's a short explanation. If you have further questions, we have several competitors that hang out on OSA and will be more than happy to offer their opinions and advice.
I've never seen anybody at a match not allow someone to try out their gear or gun if they ask. We like seeing people get into the sport.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some links to USPSA, and Steel Challenge.
https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-about-getting-started.php
https://www.tandemkross.com/How-to-...h-Competitive-Shooter-Scott-Lepping_b_38.html

If you decide to start, you will go to a range and be sure to let the match director know it's your first match. You will be assigned a squad, get a first timer's safety briefing and as a first time shooter, you will be put at the bottom of the shooting list on each stage so you can watch everybody else shoot before you. By the end of the first match, you will know if you're hooked or not, and I'm betting you are.
You WILL NOT win your first match. But the knowledge and skills you will learn in one match by those that offer constructive help WILL make you a better shooter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to take a beating for forgetting that there is another competition out there. 3 Gun. It uses a combination of shotgun, rifle and pistol in no assigned order. There was a robust 3 gun match at the OKC Gun Club for a long time. It slowed down for awhile but has rekindled recently with scheduled matches.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis has covered all the technical, fancy stuff. I am still shooting the same Glock 34 I decided on YEARS ago. Only mods are a 25-cent trigger job, a Lone Wolf barrel and a fiber optic front sight (forgive me but I believe it is a Dawson. I'd have to ask the old man.) It is REAL easy to spend WAY more money than you need to.

Best advice I ever got was from JJ Powell:
https://uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?JJ-Powell-has-left-the-range-13
(RIP, sir) and it was: "you can certainly sink a TON of money into your gun and while you will look cool and the other cool kids will think you look cool, the fact of the matter is, you will NEVER learn to outshoot a good basic gun. Spend your money slow, dry fire every night, practice your draw a lot and most of all have fun."

He and John Bent, out at OKCGC, made it impossible for me NOT to have a good time, no matter how bad I didn't want to (the old man drug me out to the range -- again -- when I didn't want to go :grumble: because I was NOT a shooter back then.)

I'd argue that the only person you should shoot against is yourself. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and as long as you see yourself moving up steadily in the rankings at your "home club", that means you are getting better.

Do not let yourselves get frustrated by the "gamers". You will learn to know them when you see them of you shoot regularly. They will ALWAYS win "at home" but don't make it to the big leagues like JJ did. If you let them, they will ruin shooting for you. Not badmouthing anyone in particular so you guys keep your pants on, just fair warning to the new kids on the block.

I have been OOL for several years now and just recently started back up, so I'm not sure what matches are out there. I'm pretty sure Dennis and the guys who have been shooting while I was "out" know a lot more about that than I do.

There is a match at Tri-City Gun Club every month that usually has several women at it. They are friendly, a lot of fun and don't all wear race gear. Might be a good match for your wife to meet some other women who are "like minded". It was rained out this month, but PM me if you think you guys might want to make the trip up and I'll make sure I'm there in September. Your match fees are on me if you decide to make the trip.

Eta: I forgot to add, while your wife's 17 will work perfectly fine, the longer sight radius of a 34 will make it easier for her to find her sight quicker, especially if the stage has targets at longer distances. She is welcome to try mine if y'all come this way.

Last edited:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the IDPA match director for the Duke, OK range (west of Altus).
http//www.ITPSC.net
Rules for IDPA at http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules

1.2.1 Equipment Principles
Allowed equipment will meet the following criteria:

A. Concealable: All equipment (except flashlights) will be placed so that it is not visible while wearing a
concealment garment, with your arms extended to your sides, parallel to the ground.

B. Practical: All equipment must be practical for all day concealed carry self-defense, and worn in a manner that is appropriate for all day continuous wear.

USPSA/ Production Division is basically copied from IDPA.

IDPA uses mostly stock pistols: No ports, no oversize magazines, no trick holster, no optics.
Stages are limited to 18 rounds max and most shots are 15 yds or less.
If you put an APEX kit in your M&P, you are moved to Enhanced service pistol division.
Each Division is separate, based on the equipment you bring.
If you show up with ports or other illegal equipment, we let you shoot local matches Not for Competition.

Steel Challenge is probably the place to start for someone just learning to shoot.

IDPA is the place to start when you are ready to shoot cardboard silhouettes and move around a little.
And if you carry a handgun (SDA) you really should be shooting IDPA for some simulated stress practice; that's what got me started.

Last edited:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the IDPA match director for the Duke, OK range (west of Altus).
http//www.ITPSC.net
Rules for IDPA at http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules

1.2.1 Equipment Principles
Allowed equipment will meet the following criteria:

A. Concealable: All equipment (except flashlights) will be placed so that it is not visible while wearing a
concealment garment, with your arms extended to your sides, parallel to the ground.

B. Practical: All equipment must be practical for all day concealed carry self-defense, and worn in a manner that is appropriate for all day continuous wear.

USPSA/ Production Division is basically copied from IDPA.

IDPA uses mostly stock pistols: No ports, no oversize magazines, no trick holster, no optics.
Stages are limited to 18 rounds max and most shots are 15 yds or less.
If you put an APEX kit in your M&P, you are moved to Enhanced service pistol division.
Each Division is separate, based on the equipment you bring.
If you show up with ports or other illegal equipment, we let you shoot local matches Not for Competition.

Steel Challenge is probably the place to start for someone just learning to shoot.

IDPA is the place to start when you are ready to shoot cardboard silhouettes and move around a little.
And if you carry a handgun (SDA) you really should be shooting IDPA for some simulated stress practice; that's what got me started.
Good info. Skip IDPA, though and go to USPSA.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info. Skip IDPA, though and go to USPSA.

Lmao! I wondered how long it would take.

Clint, all shooting match disciplines have their strength and weakness. ANY of them, if done on a regular basis, will make you a better, more confident gun handler.

There was a RAGING argument on here years ago as to whether IDPA or USPSA was "better" for training purposes. As with most heated discussions on OSA, no one's mind was changed and some people let their feelers get hurt.

Just go shoot them all ... :rubhands: You'll figure out which ones you enjoy quick enough (For example, I have a "thing" for Steel Challenges but I won't pass up a chance to shoot any match, if I have the time, money and gear.)

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW,
Steel Challenge at OKC Gun Club is on the 3rd Saturdays of the month, and it next Saturday (weather permitting)
USPSA at OKC is 1st Saturdays of the month.
H&H has an indoor USPSA match the 4th Sunday evening of the month and is a good place to try that type of shooting for first timers. (note the H&H August match has been cancelled and will resume in September)

Latest posts

Top Bottom