Need some tutoring...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta go with Dave on this one. Our range puts on an NRA Women on Target program on occasion and I am the Range Safety person on the .22 rimfire pistol stage to observe for my role.
We have NRA certified pistol instructors that take ladies that have never had a firearm in their hands before and teach them proper grip, sight alignment, trigger pull, etc..
Targets at 10 yards and some groups are all over the target. Shot with out of the box Ruger Mark II iron sights.
After they finish, they get to shoot my Mark III Hunter with red dot, muzzle brake, slide assist, and 3 lb trigger competition gun at the same distance. The groups are much smaller in comparison.
The ladies love the red dots.
That being said, the cheap red dots with huge parallax are worthless.
If anyone has never been to a USPSA match and watched the open gun guys with red dots run a stage......you need to do this to see how fast that dot can increase the stage times and accuracy at speed. ( Caveat, I've seen an iron sight guy on this forum out run some optics guys)
My next match will be a transition from limited division USPSA to Carry Optics division using a Trijicon RMR. Just got it mounted and fired a few rounds into the burn barrels for a rough sight in.
Headed to the range tomorrow for holster and draw practice. Totally new game here.

And I would agree with you on .22. man are those easy to shoot. I still stand by my assesstment but would ammend it for 'centerfire weapons.' a 9, 40, and 45, put dots on those guns and man does the poi jumps. lets face it, quite a few people can be accurate with a .22 semi. im my Firearms For Women I start with the .22, .380 and work our way up with caliber. around the 9mm accuracy really starts to drop. yes, it depends on a lot of things. yes, a 42 oz 1911 or a 38 oz .38 spcl in all steel is easy to shoot. but those small xds, shield, sc9, lcp, glock 22, g27, kel-tec 9mm, nano, etc., light polymer guns, POI gets pretty big with red dot IMO.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a big learning curve on the small CF pistols for even lasers. People see the dot running around and try to correct for it. It’s actually mimicking exactly what iron sights are doing though, but the irons aren’t as noticeable.
The larger pistols with some trigger time and grip can pretty much mitigate a lot of the wobble.
Went and shot my M&P pro 5” in .40 today with the new dot and was pleased.
Do need more dry fire time though coming from the holster and acquiring the initial sight picture.
d2de40fd7e0b3bc2ab1022c7991eef1a.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom