Need storm water drainage expert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Water runs downhill. If there's no "downhill" from there, you'll always have drainage problems.

If there is, cut a trench/channel or bury a perforated pipe in gravel (or do a French drain) to get the drainage there. Just make sure there's a place for the water to go.

My 2¢ ... :drunk2:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Water runs downhill. If there's no "downhill" from there, you'll always have drainage problems.

If there is, cut a trench/channel or bury a perforated pipe in gravel (or do a French drain) to get the drainage there. Just make sure there's a place for the water to go.

My 2¢ ... :drunk2:

Please tell me more about the pipe vs the french drain? I thought a french drain did use the perforated pipe? Is there a way to do that for darinage with not intake grate that I'm not aware of?

Can you put the building on concrete piers? You can buy the sonotube forms at Home Depot.

I could, but I'm not thinking the building will flood, it the floor would be up high enough not to flood no matter what I do...I am questioning the negative effects of water standing under the building after a rain. etc. The building will be at least a few inches higher than the ground no matter what type of foundation I do; but the existing ground doesn't drain well in certain spots...I will post the pic when I can; might help illustrate the situation better.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could, but I'm not thinking the building will flood, it the floor would be up high enough not to flood no matter what I do...I am questioning the negative effects of water standing under the building after a rain. etc. The building will be at least a few inches higher than the ground no matter what type of foundation I do; but the existing ground doesn't drain well in certain spots...I will post the pic when I can; might help illustrate the situation better.
My shed that is up on blocks has standing water under it for days after a good rain and it hasn't had any effect on it in 17 years.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A french drain is a what you will often find around swimming pools, it's a long channel in which water can drain that has a grate over it. Perforated pipe in gravel is a tile line. The water has to filter through the soil and other substrate and then drain into the line off to another area or sump to be removed.

A tile line is often put around a basement with a lot of excess moisture to keep it out of the house or in large fields where a lot of natural springs keep the ground very wet all the time. A french drain will often be put in front of a garage or across a walkway to drain off water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom