Need to build a new AR, Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking to build a new AR, I have them in 5.56, .308 and 7.62x39. Looking for a small fast round like maybe the .204 Ruger or the likes. Want to turn the prairie poodles inside out and yotes drop on the spot. What say ye?????

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
.308 is out at the lake in the safe. Will post a pick of it when I get out there this weekend. I do not enjoy the .308 as much as I thought I would. Seems to eat all my rounds in a very quick manner (I know, have some trigger control), gets really dirty and if not kept clean can FTF pretty easy. Oh, I bought it used a while back. DPMS Oracle, not a bad gun, just not one to carry when the spaceships come...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have two unfinished lowers and one unfinished upper in the safe and posted a thread on here about what to build.
Got a ton of great suggestions. Thanks to everybody for their input.
My preference in guns is small caliber, high velocity.
Speed kills.
Have not started building anything yet as I can't find anything that is superior to the .243 WSSM that I currently own.
Its faster at 1000 yds than the current fan boy 6.5 Grendal, and similar cartridges. Amazingly accurate.
Tonight I had a thought.......The .300 blackout/whisper is in vogue now. How can one make that into a high velocity rifle vs it's intended purpose of being slow and really adaptable to a suppressor?
Light bulb came on...... how about a 55 grain bullet in a sabot? There are still sabot's out there for sale at a very reasonable cost to do just that.
The same thing that Remington did with the Accelerator in 30-30, 30-06, and .308 that puts the 55 grain over 4000 fps.
They had accuracy issues, but remained in their inventory until a couple of years ago.
Problem IMHO was the twist in the rifles was not what the .55 grain needed to stabilize.
So, If a person ordered a .300 blackout barrel with say a 1-9 twist, that could turn into a screamer? Just rambling in my thoughts, but it sounds like an interesting build.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about the .243 WSSM. I've gathered everything I need for a predator rifle with a .223 Wylde barrel but that one could go on another build.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about the 22 nosler? 17 Remington is still a good round at 4000 plus fps. I've killed many coyotes and prairie dogs with the little 17.
You can't really go wrong with the .204 though. Good luck!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny, I'm doing the same sort of research now, and I did come across the 243 vs. 6.5 Grendel comparisons. The relative lack of factory 243 WSSM ammo, and the wide availability of steel Wolf 6.5 plinking ammo at about 23 cents a round, tipped me toward 6.5 for my next build. You just need to be careful selecting your 6.5 bolt and barrel combo; don't cheap out on those, especially the bolt, and be aware of the Type I vs. Type II compatibility issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom