Need to build a new AR, Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.219 zipper should be an obscure enough build! Sorry I Googled the round last night and it seamed like a hell of a varmint round in its hey day. But an ar57 build should get you humming along pretty nicely!

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh hey it just hit me!!! Take a dedicated 9mm lower and build a 22 tcm! Then have 2 uppers one in 22tcm, the other in 9mm! That would be a unique build.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about the .243 WSSM. I've gathered everything I need for a predator rifle with a .223 Wylde barrel but that one could go on another build.

My .243WSSM is a short action cartridge that makes it ideal for the AR-15 platform. There are some mods that have to be made to the upper. The parent case is a .404 Jeffery, so a different BCG must be built, and a dust cover can't be used as the ejection port has to be opened up a tad for the fat cartridge. The performance is only slightly better than the standard long action .243. 100fps faster, maybe.
A lot of the internet resources are just research, and not actual bench time.
Mine is a 1-8 twist AR that will shoot Speer 100 grain BTSP into connecting groups at over 3200 fps at 100 yds.
Using the 55 grain that runs 4050 fps in the 1-8 will result in pie plate groups. It needs a 1-10, maybe 1-9 to get any accuracy.
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.243-wssm.html

Last edited:

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My .243WSSM is a short action cartridge that makes it ideal for the AR-15 platform. The performance is only slightly better than the standard long action .243. 100fps faster, maybe.
A lot of the internet resources are just research, and not actual bench time.
Mine is a 1-8 twist that will shoot Speer 100 grain BTSP into connecting groups at over 3200 fps at 100 yds.
Using the 55 grain that runs 4050 fps in the 1-8 will result in pie plate groups. It needs a 1-10, maybe 1-9 to get any accuracy.
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.243-wssm.html
So where do you get new brass? Most that you can find is two dollars each plus shipping. So if you do build a Stoner Platform with 243 wssm chamber you are too scared to take it a field as if you shoot it three times and lose the brass it just cost you seven bucks

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Olin still manufactures it. I've seen it in Brownells and other places.
DRJJ has a source for loaded factory ammo.
Brownells has no backorder on it. Midway has neither brass no loaded rounds. It can be sourced on gun broker and some of those sites but over 2.00 a case by the time it hits your door. The market has judged 243 wssm and it is in a coma slipping into death

Latest posts

Top Bottom