Need to move a 4x8 above-ground storm shelter, recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when we put them in new homes, they are moved off the trailer, onto a pallet jack. I would bet some of those car wheel dollys, and a pallet jack would get it to a trailer, and few beefy fellows to run it up a ramp. after you unbolt a bottle jack or similar should get it up enough to start the process.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy smokes, ...it's been a month. Where has the time gone.

Ok, to finish up this thread - I used a gun-safe mover. I used 'Mayfair Key and Lock' in the OKC area.
Expect about $500 for removal/transportation/and installation. Within a 40(?) mile radius, I think.
The total bill does depend on the complexity of the job and how difficult it is - so the price is only for reference purposes.
They did a great job, had all the right tools, and made it look easy.
They placed it exactly where I wanted it and I'm 100% happy.

This was interesting - during the removal from the original location:
The storm shelter was originally installed (years ago) using an epoxy bonding system where the studs were epoxied into the concrete. When the guys used an impact driver to remove the nuts - (4) of the STUDS came right out of the concrete. Stud and nut together.
In total - (4) of the 12 bolts popped right out. 33% of the bolts were 'questionable-at-best' for strength purposes.
...For a tornado shelter - yikes.

During moving safes/shelters - the safe-guys said that they see that happen all the time for (Epoxy bolts) and also the (Red-head) expanding bolt types. Sometimes the bolts just loose it's grip with the concrete and pops out. And there's no way to know!!
....Of course, not every bolt, - but they say it happens frequently.

So when mounting your gun-safe:
The gun-safe guys only use the 'Power Fastener Wedge bolts' like this: http://www.powers.com/product_7204SD.php
They swear by these bolts and claim they've never had one come loose. (oh, and since it's threaded - it's removable!)
The hole-diameter is critical - so review the technical specs and verify your masonry drill bit is the correct diameter (see "Wedge-bit tolerance range") - but after that - the bolt threads into the concrete and the concrete/bolt engagement is solid.
You can buy these bolts at ACE /Lowes/ Home Depot.

So if you're moving a tornado shelter by yourself (or contracting it out) - hopefully the above info is helpful.
And if your mounting your gun-safe - give consideration to which type bolts you'll use.
Best of luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent information! ^^^^^

I've had years of experience with Red head bolt systems. I don't disagree with them much, but, we found the application of either silicon or loctite to the red head systems in Jib cranes up to 2 tons stopped them from "coming loose". They backed out with the continuous motion without a lock washer. They only come with flat washers. The application of lock washers and the loctite or RTV will prevent that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom