Needing a load recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine brought me 100 Speer GOLD DOT .223, 62grn projectiles and has asked me to load them. The product number is 22462GDB... He also brought me 1lb of CFE223 and a sleeve of BR-4's. I have never worked up a load for this particular bullet using any powder. He bought this stuff over the last year or so, thinking he was going to get a reloading set up and learn how to do it himself and then worked a deal out with me for some brass. In exchange for the brass I told him Id work this stuff up. I just hate picking a recipe out of the book not having tested it for accuracy and he's hoping to get the 100 rdns.. not 17 rnds after I've tested several for accuracy at different levels of powder. Was hoping someone has a decent load for this bullet using CFE223 or H335... I don't mind using some of my powder and keeping his...... IF someone has a fairly accurate, tested load and would be willing to share.... You can PM me if you don't mind sharing but don't want to share with the world...... Thanks guys!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a recipe for that. Hope someone comes in here with a good one but as we all know
every rifle likes something a bit different.
I have found every bullet i try in my .223 or 5.56 seems to like about .5 gr under max book load.
Magnum primers have always resulted in smaller groups for my rifles CCI 450.

But run what you have.
Brass prep is very important for great accuracy in that little round.
Someone here did a test in his own rifle with his prepped cases and another guys prepped cases and some I prepped to put that theory to the test.
I spend on average 4 minutes per case to prep them.

I hate brass prep.
My bolt rifles like the bullets I have tried to be seated long.
2.278" for the little 55gr V-Max flat base no cannelure which is the most accurate bullet I have ever shot in that caliber.

I anneal every case, I also deburr the flash hole inside the case and use a VLD chamfer after trimming.

I also measure shoulder Ogive as it can be different if one case did not get enough lube inside or out and that will open the group.

No crimping for me and neck tension is set at .003" for the .223/5.56

Here is something I found on what you are looking for that may be worth reading .
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...y-with-cfe-223-and-62-grain-gold-dots.864212/

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting reading. Always puzzle me that people think if a reloading book says 3100 FPS that is what you are getting. It all depends on the firearms and the barrels the only way to know the velocity is to shoot over a chronograph. Then you will be asking your self I wonder if my chronograph is OFF. LOL

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How long is his barrel? I'm assuming 5.56 or .223 Wylde chamber?

CFE223 is pretty darn temp sensitive, so getting near 5.56mm max charge during load development in Nov, and then shooting that load again in July can get you into some serious pressure issues.

Your H335 may very well be a better option.

All of my crap above just being said; I had my best luck with the 62gr MK 318 Mod0 bullets using 25.5gr CFE223 in LC '10 brass with CCI 41s at 2.245 OAL. Rifle is an 18" barreled FN DMR II.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Every gun has a happy load..... without shooting the ammo in that gun you have zero clue what it will do....... You may land on a sweet spot and never have an issue and you may hit minute of pie pan ........
My Grendel loves a medium power 123gr SST over AR comp......... AR comp being the 3rd powder I tried. It hates Hornady Custom. 4inch groups at 100 and likes American Gunne.r 1 inch groups. My reloads can clover at 100 when I do my job.............
Good luck with trying to make your friend happy. He would be better off getting a single stage and working the loads.
Just my opinion and you know what they say about those LOl :cool:

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t typically trust load info unless It’s from the manual or direct from the manucture. Here is the load date from speer’s website. Gives you a starting point if you weren’t able to find the data before.
65C08680-FC65-4A9E-9C5A-03B2F738AF23.jpeg

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t typically trust load info unless It’s from the manual or direct from the manucture. Here is the load date from speer’s website. Gives you a starting point if you weren’t able to find the data before.View attachment 236487
This. Asking for a recipe is iffy at best. Someone can mistype info. The Hodgon website has good data.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out noslers load data for the 64gr bonded. I believe cfe was the most accurate powder they found. I've got some test loads ready. But I'm not ready to freeze to try them out.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Check out noslers load data for the 64gr bonded. I believe cfe was the most accurate powder they found. I've got some test loads ready. But I'm not ready to freeze to try them out.
Oh come on man!! 6 months from now you will be begging for some 19 degree temps with a 30 mile an hour breeze!! get out there and enjoy it while you can! :cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom