Neglected Animals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with above, hippy crossbred cattle. Water situation would be the only thing that may raise a flag with me. As far as shelter and shade, millions of cattle and gov subsidized horses from Texas to North Dakota live their entire life with their only shade or shelter being a cloudy day.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They may appear healthy but the fact that they are SO thirsty when water appears is bad. They are not being cared for properly. I'm all for getting the authorities involved. How is it right that someone can have ANY animal and not provide it water, or shelter from the elements? I'm not some nosy busybody do-gooder but the minimum of appropriate care is REGULAR access to food, WATER and SHELTER. Good grief.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with above, hippy crossbred cattle. Water situation would be the only thing that may raise a flag with me. As far as shelter and shade, millions of cattle and gov subsidized horses from Texas to North Dakota live their entire life with their only shade or shelter being a cloudy day.

The Feral Government may not require shelter as a requisite for subsidies, but not providing shelter is punishable under Oklahoma law, §21-1685.

Woody

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
The Feral Government may not require shelter as a requisite for subsidies, but not providing shelter is punishable under Oklahoma law, §21-1685.

Woody

No it's not. If I choose to purchase 200 cow/calf pairs, you're telling me I breaking the law if I don't have enough timber to provide shade, or build a covered shelter for them all? Get real.

What about several thousand stocker and feeder cattle out on wheat pasture during the winter? That's several hundred or thousand PER producer, which is millions.

Last edited:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The statute reads that to deprive animals of "necessary food drink and shelter" is punishable by law. Like it or not, that's a subjective judgement especially in the cattle business. No offence intended, BTW.
No it's not. If I choose to purchase 200 cow/calf pairs, you're telling me I breaking the law if I don't have enough timber to provide shade, or build a covered shelter for them all? Get real.

What about several thousand stocker and feeder cattle out on wheat pasture during the winter? That's several hundred or thousand PER producer, which is millions.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
The statute reads that to deprive animals of "necessary food drink and shelter" is punishable by law. Like it or not, that's a subjective judgement especially in the cattle business. No offence intended, BTW.

Agreed, we're talking livestock here, not lap dogs, parakeets and hamsters.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Access to water is sure a necessity. Shelter, not so much.
Quite often I've seen cattle get too hot and calves suffocate in sheds when there wasn't enough shade for all. You either gotta have shade for all or shade for none. Especially if it's a shed that's just open on one side. I guess you could say I've found cattle that killed them self with shade.

Last edited:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... or deprived of necessary food, drink, shelter, or veterinary care to prevent suffering; ...

I will admit that which is necessary to prove suffering in a court case may require an interpretation of the law with input from experts. However, every other rancher around here has a stand of trees and/or sheds/barns that their cattle will huddle under for shade during hot days. If the animals seek it out on their own, which they do, the animals consider it necessary. I consider shelter necessary if the animals do. If they have to be led to it, yes, that's different. These are my thoughts on the matter and I'm sticking to them.

Then too, when I eat a steak, I want it to come from a freshly slaughtered healthy cow. :spaghetti:

Woody

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... or deprived of necessary food, drink, shelter, or veterinary care to prevent suffering; ...

I will admit that which is necessary to prove suffering in a court case may require an interpretation of the law with input from experts. However, every other rancher around here has a stand of trees and/or sheds/barns that their cattle will huddle under for shade during hot days. If the animals seek it out on their own, which they do, the animals consider it necessary. I consider shelter necessary if the animals do. If they have to be led to it, yes, that's different. These are my thoughts on the matter and I'm sticking to them.

Then too, when I eat a steak, I want it to come from a freshly slaughtered healthy cow. :spaghetti:

Woody
Steaks usually come from steers.... Heifers are usually kept in the herd or sold to other herds to raise calves. When a heifer calves, then they become cows. When cows are butchered, hamburger or dog food is usually the result.

Latest posts

Top Bottom