Negligent discharge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot I had one until just now reading this thread. I was out hunting though, not indoors anywhere. I had a Thompson Center Hawken muzzle loader with the set triggers. Gun was basically brand new and it was my 1st season with it. The regular trigger was so heavy I thought it was broken and was planning on taking it in after deer season. Long story short that set trigger is so light the wind will damn near trip the sear and I was careless and did touch it before I got my thumb on the hammer when putting it back to half cock. No harm came since I was in the woods alone. I don't count the doubles on my M1A when I was being lazy and let it bump fire since I was actually aiming and shooting at a target, that's pretty easy to do off the bench. Never had one with a handgun.

Don't be ditching all your guns. If you feel like you need a break, that's your call. But you will regret it. I know for certain I would.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one once. About 3 years back, I think. I keep a number of guns loaded, some chambered, and/or magazines handy around the house from time to time, as if they're needed in a hurry, they're REALLY needed in a HURRY.

Anyways, I was staying in a mobile home I rented while working away from home for a couple of years, and I didn't have a safe, so everything was kept sort of in the open on some modular storage racks I had at the time. So I picked up my Taurus PT140 Millineum, noticed it had the mag in it, and I dropped the mag, lowered the gun down by my leg and pulled the trigger to "decock" it. Unfortunately, I had (obviously) forgotten to clear the chamber when I dropped the mag. The round traveled parallel to my leg down to the floor and went through the carpeted wooden floor of my trailer. I was notably shaken, as all above have been, and could only thank my lucky stars I hadn't been on a concrete or tile floor which might have resulted in a ricochet that went right into my foot, leg or anywhere else.

I've been much more careful since then, and I always always always check the chamber visually and with a finger before I drop the slide and pull the trigger, but like Dennis said, I still always cringe a tiny bit. But ti has made me much more conscious of my muzzle direction (even though that part of my ND was reasonably safe, thank God!) since then.

I agree with those above... don't beat yourself up too much. This is why we have MULTIPLE safety rules, some of which are redundant (like visual AND tactile inspection of the chamber) and will help save us or reduce risk if and when we forget one of them.

I won't say I will never have another one, but I am definitely safer now than I was then. I think you will probably regret it someday if you get rid of all your guns. We all make mistakes, some of us have made potentially deadly mistakes that turned out ok through luck or redundant safety measures. This applies to lots of things - gas grill canisters, firearms, cars, medications, electricity, gas or fuel cans, lawn equipment, etc.

Give it some time, and when you feel like you want to give it another shot (lol), then pick your guns up again, and remember the lesson you learned.

Thanks for sharing, man!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who dat gunsmith?

I don't know him, but his name is Bill and he works part time at Jerry's Guns. When I called them yesterday, the lady that answered actually knew what I was talking about when I mentioned cartridge stops. She also seemed to be familiar with the '97. That impressed me.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I came very close to a negligent discharge a few years ago. I had been loading and unloading a revolver as I practiced with a new speed loader in my bedroom. I am extremely careful with loaded firearms and pride myself in my level of caution. At one point, I picked up the revolver--which I knew to be unloaded at that minute--and pointed it at a spot in the bedroom. As I was about to dry fire it a couple of times, I decided to check the cylinder one more time (which I KNEW to be empty). I was shocked to find it loaded. Somehow, with all that careful loading and unloading I had a moment of inattention. I was holding a loaded handgun and thought otherwise. I never fired the gun, but I was seconds away from pulling that trigger.

If someone thinks that it cannot happen to them, think again. You must check every time.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I joke endlessly about a member's wife came that came on here (god knows how many years ago) and she ignorantly spilled his purse, so to speak, about a ND he had. He had excused it to his wife with a story about a coffee table and a vacuum cleaner. OSA legend ensued.

However, here, all I can say is that there is a LOT to be said for having the integrity to come on here and admit you had an ND/AD and freely talk about it. You have my respect to say the very least. That goes to the OP and several others sharing their story. To me, that's the best thing that can happen so others can learn and be exposed as a refresher from time to time as to what can happen.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great grandpa used to hunt with a Winchester 1887 lever action. No safety and a TINY "hammer spur" if you can even call it that. For nostalgia, my dad and I like to carry it in the field on occasion and whomever is carrying it is always on the "outside" when we walk so the gun is pointed in the different direction altogether. I was walking and a rooster got up and I went to shoulder the gun and somewhere between "resting" and up...she went BANG. I didnt realize how light of a trigger that thing had...but all was well that ended well as it was still pointing in a safe direction. My dad gave me the look "and thats why we walk on the other side" when it happened.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great grandpa used to hunt with a Winchester 1887 lever action. No safety and a TINY "hammer spur" if you can even call it that. For nostalgia, my dad and I like to carry it in the field on occasion and whomever is carrying it is always on the "outside" when we walk so the gun is pointed in the different direction altogether. I was walking and a rooster got up and I went to shoulder the gun and somewhere between "resting" and up...she went BANG. I didnt realize how light of a trigger that thing had...but all was well that ended well as it was still pointing in a safe direction. My dad gave me the look "and thats why we walk on the other side" when it happened.
I had a Chinese '87 for a couple of years. You're absolutely correct about that tiny hammer. Fun gun, but not for beginners! I bought it for SASS, but I was slower with it than with a SXS. And I'm not fast with a SXS, so the word slower is very relative. I'd love to have an original in 10 gauge.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Chinese '87 for a couple of years. You're absolutely correct about that tiny hammer. Fun gun, but not for beginners! I bought it for SASS, but I was slower with it than with a SXS. And I'm not fast with a SXS, so the word slower is very relative. I'd love to have an original in 10 gauge.

They're fun but as you said...not for newbies. I dont shoot them alot but they are a hoot when you do.
Top is a 10ga (1901) and bottom is one is a 12ga (1887). I've thhought of getting a Chinese one to cut down some...but its hard to buy a knockoff when you have a pair of originals (but these are NOT going to get cut)
1901.jpg
20161012_134559.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom