Neighbor Woes on a Private Road: Part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just pop him with yer gold Hi-Point gangsta like
I know you own one.

God you are so jealous of this gun it is sickening. Id sell to YOU for $2,000.

MuYUarb.jpg

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ZG,
Is there a HOA agreement tied to everyone's property on this road? Usually with private roads, there's a HOA for the purpose of road maintenance. Even if the HOA is rarely used - only when needed, it's a legal means to tie his property to the costs of maintaining the road.

Yeah, we all know he won't pay - but...
If you improve the road - and he has the option to use it (read: you don't block access to it) - then just file a property lien for his share of the unpaid expenses. He probably won't pay you now - but at some point he can't sell/refinance/transfer the property without paying off all liens against the property. AND you can accrue 10%(?) interest on unpaid fees. (Verify the %, but that's some dang good ROI in today's market.)
Over 10-12 years - that compounding interest really adds up!

I think you've got the right approach. See if the city can help resolve the problem.
If not, get an attorney to review options - and contemplate a way to place liens against his property, since you're doing the work anyways.

If you need an attorney that specializes in HOA stuff, I think one of my neighbors is in that business.

My sincere apologies. This really sucks for you.
I hope you find a way to resolve this and get your sanity back.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ZG,
Is there a HOA agreement tied to everyone's property on this road? Usually with private roads, there's a HOA for the purpose of road maintenance. Even if the HOA is rarely used - only when needed, it's a legal means to tie his property to the costs of maintaining the road.

Yeah, we all know he won't pay - but...
If you improve the road - and he has the option to use it (read: you don't block access to it) - then just file a property lien for his share of the unpaid expenses. He probably won't pay you now - but at some point he can't sell/refinance/transfer the property without paying off all liens against the property. AND you can accrue 10%(?) interest on unpaid fees. (Verify the %, but that's some dang good ROI in today's market.)
Over 10-12 years - that compounding interest really adds up!

I think you've got the right approach. See if the city can help resolve the problem.
If not, get an attorney to review options - and contemplate a way to place liens against his property, since you're doing the work anyways.

If you need an attorney that specializes in HOA stuff, I think one of my neighbors is in that business.

My sincere apologies. This really sucks for you.
I hope you find a way to resolve this and get your sanity back.
no HOA...i wish man.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yall, a miracle has taken place on Brown Crow rd...this mother f*cker has installed 2 tin horns for each of his driveways and even cleaned out the ditches like a big boy. I called the action center/public works and spoke to someone today and apparently no one from city has talked to him yet so my best guess is FIL scarred him into doing the right thing. Hallelujah and pass the ammunition.

q20z74l.jpg

dBgBZEu.jpg

bTGr3MS.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom