Neighbor Woes: What Rights Do I Have To Maintain A Private Road...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sheesh Shoddy, you have to get a couple truck loads of gravel each year if I read that right? Where does it all go, and can it not be reclaimed?

(Learning a LOT from this thread...)

Every couple of years on the deliveries. The road is cut into the side of a steep hill. If one doesn’t use 4wd getting up, your pretty much spinning your tires most of the way which in turn grinds it into dust that is not recoverable. What’s not ground up is sent to the bottom of the hill by runoff, some of which is able to be put back in place.
Some goes over the side and is not able to be recovered because it’s impossible to access that side.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be very tempted to invest in a new 4x4 with whatever size lift and tires would get me home. Let the road go to sh#t and watch your neighbors deal with it till they pony up some cash.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This looks like the area of concern from the OP description.

View attachment 137412

Hopefully not this:

View attachment 137413
correct, the area further east is basically destroyed and gated off by whoever owns that. pretty much what you circled is a hill that water rushed down, immediately west of that is the portion at the bottom of the hill that is getting washed out.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be very tempted to invest in a new 4x4 with whatever size lift and tires would get me home. Let the road go to sh#t and watch your neighbors deal with it till they pony up some cash.
problem is i own the boat and rv storage at the end of the road and that would kill my business.

edit never mind i think you were talking to dennis.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
problem is i own the boat and rv storage at the end of the road and that would kill my business.

edit never mind i think you were talking to dennis.
It was for both of you. So I am guessing there is no other way to gain access even if it means abandoning the first road and making a new one? I made a joint drive into a piece of property one time to help the guy I bought the land from. He became a tool. I abandoned it and just made my own drive where he had no access.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was for both of you. So I am guessing there is no other way to gain access even if it means abandoning the first road and making a new one? I made a joint drive into a piece of property one time to help the guy I bought the land from. He became a tool. I abandoned it and just made my own drive where he had no access.
yea its just not possible

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I know exactly what you are going through. I live in an addition and our road is private. We have a worthless HOA and the president thinks he owns the whole addition. He is the one who grates it a few times a year. With this last rain it washed out a huge section of road and it’s difficult to get across. He still hasn’t went out there to fix it. On the north side of the road there are issues with the water getting down the Yards to the creek and instead of putting in tin horns like we voted to do he goes over there and just digs a trench in a couple spots and the water still floods. The guy is not the brightest even though he thinks he knows it all. At our next meeting I am lighting him up. I called three different law offices and none of them ever called me back and I even emailed and didn’t get a response. I don’t know why they wouldn’t get back with me. He is not following the laws regarding HOA’s and he thinks no one will call him out on it. I hope you get this figured out soon without having to deal with a bunch of crap.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can take one.

Looking toward her driveway

ba7c2787a6d3b9d86c5da4edac1ef0d2.jpg

Looking toward her driveway closer
6d8a654ab86b331e2f3fa57675e13863.jpg

Looking from her driveway down the shared road.

8a3e10d09d710d69c9f2818e4451c36a.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I know exactly what you are going through. I live in an addition and our road is private. We have a worthless HOA and the president thinks he owns the whole addition. He is the one who grates it a few times a year. With this last rain it washed out a huge section of road and it’s difficult to get across. He still hasn’t went out there to fix it. On the north side of the road there are issues with the water getting down the Yards to the creek and instead of putting in tin horns like we voted to do he goes over there and just digs a trench in a couple spots and the water still floods. The guy is not the brightest even though he thinks he knows it all. At our next meeting I am lighting him up. I called three different law offices and none of them ever called me back and I even emailed and didn’t get a response. I don’t know why they wouldn’t get back with me. He is not following the laws regarding HOA’s and he thinks no one will call him out on it. I hope you get this figured out soon without having to deal with a bunch of crap.

I wonder if he’s charging the HOA for the work he is doing. If so, that seems like it would be a conflict of interest because of non-competitive bidding process. I’d ask him or if he provides financial statements, I would review those.

Latest posts

Top Bottom