Neighbor Woes: What Rights Do I Have To Maintain A Private Road...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the ultimate takeaway out of all this for me.... I've always thought I'd love to have a place out in the country. Now I wonder if maybe not. :(
You have to be careful man. We have easements to keep us from being land locked and as you have read my neighbor has had me in fits over the deal. If he really wanted to he could make it much worse but the type of person he is
We are having our annual meeting in July. I am demanding the financials for our HOA. And he has to give them too. It says it in our rules. I am sure most of my neighbors have never even read our rules. That is why he has been able to control the addition for so long. They just believe everything he says and he is the type that tries to be intimidating and always tries to control the conversations. Sorry for hijacking the thread OP.
hey it’s all good man post away. this thread can serve as a support group for us that have the turd bird neighbor curse haha.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eureka! @zghorner you should start an HOA. Get it incorporated, and get everyone to pay dues to maintain the private road. Problem solved.

Once that's done, you can have covenants about nuisance cars, paint colors, leaving hoses unreeled in the yards, species of trees planted. That's when the fun starts.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly, that's my point... I'd love some land out in the country, but it seems like with the cost of land these days (seems like I missed the years of cheap available land, and it's all been bought up and hoarded by families, my family was never in any position to be able to own or buy anything - it seems most land these days is "familial", if that makes any sense. Then you factor in when you FIND land, there are often these kinds of issues - access, easements, A-hole neighbors who want to make your life hell or don't G.A.S. about keeping their property up... etc.

I would LOVE some land - but to have the kind of room I would want, to have my privacy and control over all nearby (read: able to shoot without idiot neighbors like Tony's complaining), to have access without any kind of drama, etc... I'd have to spend many hundreds of thousands, I think. :( I just don't see that in my future, probably EVER.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love our place, 7 1/2 acres on a paved county road 20 minutes from downtown Tulsa but still not in a city or town. I can shoot in my back yard, burn trash and not bothered by neighbors. Paid $60,000 for the property 15 years ago, couldn't afford it at the time but did it anyway and now it's paid for. Ya we live in a mobile home (also paid for) but I wouldn't trade our place for a 3000 s/ft brick house in town.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even with all the recent flooding and road squabbling I wouldn’t live anywhere but here. Waking up to wildlife living all around and passing through the yard, shooting any time I want, and no city inspectors or HOA’s to tell us what to do.
We maintain our home and grounds better than most do in the cities because we like it to look nice.
Yep, land is high but when we bought this place we didn’t think we could afford it, but income typically always goes up while the mortgage stays the same.
If one is going to buy 40-80 acres, you have to put it to work for you. Lease part out for cattle, rent horse pasture, or allow limited farming if the land is capable. Use the rest for shooting, hunting, atv riding or whatever.
The .gov has lots of cost share programs for fencing, pond building etc. Buddy bought the 15 acres behind his house that came up for sale. The 10 cows he keeps on it and the calves they produce and sell almost make his annual payment.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheap land is still available if you know where to look. The bad thing is no utilities are available so you have to go off grid. If I could afford to get started I probably would already be out there.

https://arizonaland.com

I could make the payment and pack up and move today but I would not be able to get started once I got there. Would need a small travel trailer i could find there or that would make the trip to get started.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eureka! @zghorner you should start an HOA. Get it incorporated, and get everyone to pay dues to maintain the private road. Problem solved.

Once that's done, you can have covenants about nuisance cars, paint colors, leaving hoses unreeled in the yards, species of trees planted. That's when the fun starts.

Oh man, that's evil. :respect: I hate HOAs, but I LIKE IT :contract::rubhands:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap land is still available if you know where to look. The bad thing is no utilities are available so you have to go off grid. If I could afford to get started I probably would already be out there.

https://arizonaland.com

I could make the payment and pack up and move today but I would not be able to get started once I got there. Would need a small travel trailer i could find there or that would make the trip to get started.

The high county deserts in the San Juan valley of New Mexico is full of small campers and tiny homes living off the grid out in the middle of nowhere. No water, no electric, just solar panels and a water tank in the back of every pickup.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just told the wife that there are some cheap homes that are going to be on the market around Ft Smith Arkansas-they are some nice looking homes and expensive too but they're submerged in water. I would be willing to bet that a good strong and young man with a supportive wife could really fix himself a place up there. Along the same line, the wife found a huge home in Alaska and it was recently reduced $100,000 below the original asking price. (She doesn't read the fine print) It was yellow tagged due to earthquake damage. I would pass on that one I would think. Flood damage =removal of bottom half of drywall, replaced insulation, yada, yada, yada. More to it than that but you get the point it's easier to repair flood damage in my estimation than earthquake. Of course I've never done it but still...

Latest posts

Top Bottom