Net Neutrality is dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your sarcasm, while noted, is misplaced in this case. Indeed this is on Trump. This is Trumps FCC led by the man Trump picked to head the FCC...

At the start of his presidency, Donald Trump picked Ajit Pai, a Republican member of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission and longtime foe of net neutrality regulation, to head the agency

If you put a fox in the hen house to guard the hens, you don't get to shift the blame on the fox for being a fox and killing your chickens. Likewise in this case, we can't blame Pai for doing exactly what he made no secret were his intentions with regards to net neutrality. But if you feel better we can also lay plenty of blame at the feet of your representatives who allowed this to happen without so much as a whimper.

K. For the record. I think the end of Net Neutrality is bad. However, my sarcasm is not misplaced.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much more of your life would you like .gov to control? The Internet was working just fine without Obama's intervention.
And net neutrality kept it that way. Not that I cared for Obama either but this is one thing I think he got right. ISPs are companies and their sole motivation is profit. When HULU and Netflix have to pay to have streaming at a decent rate, I'm the one that's going to end up paying for it

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The world would be a much better place without most of the internet.
Especially social media like twitter, facebook, instagram, etc.
I can live without 98.5% of it.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The world would be a much better place without most of the internet.
Especially social media like twitter, facebook, instagram, etc.
I can live without 98.5% of it.

So because you can live without most of it, I should have to?

Does that also apply to books you don't like and foods you don't care for? What about cars and trucks you'd rather not drive?

You realize the anti gun folks use that same like of thinking. "Nobody needs a gun that can shoot more than one bullet without needing to reload...Why does anyone need a silencer? Why would anyone need anything capable of... "

FWIW, like you, I don't have much use for social media but my point remains

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-U-S-regulators-meet-end-net-neutrality.html

Regulators abolish 'net neutrality' rules in heated hearing that was stopped because of a BOMB threat as protesters rallied outside
  • Net neutrality is the principle that internet providers treat all web traffic equally
  • Obama-era 2015 rules prohibited telecom companies from blocking or slowing down apps that rival their own services
  • Now the FCC's Trump-appointed majority has repealed the rule along party lines, and protesters descended on Washington to oppose the plan
  • One Democratic commissioner said Republicans were 'handing the keys to the Internet' to a 'handful of multi-billion dollar corporations'
  • The Republican chairman said of the time before the rule was adopted, 'The Internet wasn't broken in 2015. We weren't living in a digital dystopia'
  • The hearing room was cleared briefly following a phoned-in bomb threat so explosive-sniffing dogs could be brought in
By Reuters and David Martosko, Us Political Editor For Dailymail.com

PUBLISHED: 11:27 EST, 14 December 2017 | UPDATED: 15:56 EST, 14 December 2017

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission voted along party lines on Thursday to repeal landmark 2015 rules that intended to ensure a free and open Internet, as protesters gather to oppose the change.

The 3-2 ruling sets up a court fight over a move that opponents fear will recast the digital landscape.

The meeting was evacuated before the vote for about 10 minutes on the basis of what Commission Chairman Ajit Pai called 'advice from security,' and resumed after sniffer dogs checked the building.

An FCC official told DailyMail.com that police had concerns after a bomb threat was phoned in.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-meet-end-net-neutrality.html#ixzz51H2E0xg9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Government doesn't need to be involved in the internet or most things really
Name one thing-one thing that the government has done that isn't really messed up...besides the US Postal Service, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, Immigration, gun ownership, Housing Subsidies, heath care, internet, foreign aid, school education, School Loans, Military Procurement, Sex Education in Schools, Transgenders Enlisting in Our Military, approval of the "alternative" lifestyle, Christmas, School Prayer, Military, Auto Industry....etc....etc...
Our government has the "Midas Touch" except humans are involved (congress) and everything they touch turns into a brown gooey mess on everyone's front porch. I am glad they can't control the weather or air, can you imagine??
And I agree with Mr Ed and his horse, the world was better off without internet, It's used for terrorists to communicate and plan, pedophiles and nuts to use for their diabolical purposes. And I don't like cell phones either! So there!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So that is what was happening two years ago?
Well, yeah, actually; see below (particularly the boldface part).

How much more of your life would you like .gov to control? The Internet was working just fine without Obama's intervention.
https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history

For years a lineup of phone- and cable-industry spokespeople has called Net Neutrality “a solution in search of a problem.”

The principle that protects free speech and innovation online is irrelevant, they claim, as blocking has never, ever happened. And if it did, they add, market forces would compel internet service providers to correct course and reopen their networks.

In reality, many providers both in the United States and abroad have violated the principles of Net Neutrality — and they plan to continue doing so in the future.

This history of abuse revealed a problem that the FCC’s 2015 Net Neutrality protections solved. Those rules are now under threat from Trump’s FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, who is determined to hand over control of the internet to massive internet service providers like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon:

MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.

COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.

MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during arguments.

The court struck down the FCC’s rules in January 2014 — and in May FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler opened a public proceeding to consider a new order.

In response millions of people urged the FCC to reclassify broadband providers as common carriers and in February 2015 the agency did just that. Since his appointment in January 2017, FCC Chairman Pai has sought to dismantle the agency's landmark Net Neutrality rules. He must be stopped.

In the absence of any rules, violations of the open internet will become more and more common.

Don’t believe me? Let history be the guide.
Government doesn't need to be involved in the internet or most things really
Government gives ISPs monopoly franchises; as with most utilities, cable and telephone companies enjoy protection from competition. See https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/...m-companies-that-have-violated-net-neutrality (looks like it should be 100M, not 129M).

Latest posts

Top Bottom