New ‘Social Justice’ Math Class Teaches Kids That Math Is Evil, Dehumanizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with abstract math as 2+2=4 has worked well for me.
I had issues with Algebra in middle school and had to take summer school to progress. Blew it off as I didn't know how that would have any effect in my future life and the teacher couldn't explain it to me how it would. It was just a rote system she used to teach.
Amazingly enough later on in life after high school, algebra became my life as well as geometry. I hated both because the teacher could not relate to me how it would would benefit me later in life.
Teachers should teach what their subject can do for the student. Not just teach 2+2=4

Sadly most teachers cannot and have not experienced life like the rest of deplorables have.

I use relatable concepts to get buy in all the time. It's one thing to tell people what they must do, but another entirely to see the light bulb go on in their eyes and truly "get it". I never really got that from the majority of my teachers. Most of what I've learned is self taught or what I saw others do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use relatable concepts to get buy in all the time. It's one thing to tell people what they must do, but another entirely to see the light bulb go on in their eyes and truly "get it". I never really got that from the majority of my teachers. Most of what I've learned is self taught or what I saw others do.
I spent tons of hours trying to figure out all the algebra and other math in library's because we didn't have the internet at that time.
Al Gore hadn't invented it yet. I had to teach myself at the post library. Had I been informed in how algebra and other math courses could have helped me get through life I might have taken more interest.
So, Yes, we need teachers to have life skills or training to teach the kids how the classes they are teaching can make their education pertain to the life skills they will be facing in the future.
Same with gun safety.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent tons of hours trying to figure out all the algebra and other math in library's because we didn't have the internet at that time.
Al Gore hadn't invented it yet. I had to teach myself at the post library. Had I been informed in how algebra and other math courses could have helped me get through life I might have taken more interest.
So, Yes, we need teachers to have life skills or training to teach the kids how the classes they are teaching can make their education pertain to the life skills they will be facing in the future.
Same with gun safety.
you know, algebra is not taught to the average student for mathematical purposes.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I will say, as someone who teaches abstract math, that using contemporary social issues in those classes is highly effective. If you make the concepts relatable and applicable to a student's life, the increases in interest and learning are well-evidenced. So, these ideas are nothing new.

This applies to pretty much any subject. Understanding at least a basic "why do I need to know this" helps a lot with motivation to learn it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it teaches critical thinking skills and reasoning.
That it does. It also teaches how to size a transformer for a load, and associated electronic/electrical skills.
I guess my point was that if my teachers had known what algebra was used for in the real world, I might have taken an interest in it.
They didn't have a clue when I asked that question and consequently I lost interest in the class, which cost me most of my summer going to summer school to make it up and pass by the skin of my teeth blowing it off as unimportant and having to learn it later.
Teachers need to know how to associate what they are teaching with life skills that the subject matter can pertain to in later life.
A biology teacher needs to know what they are teaching and transmit that intel for a student that might want to be a marine biologist, or a wildlife biologist instead of just teaching biology. Biology is a required class to graduate for a reason.
I guess I'm kind of associating regular school with Vo-tech? When those kids enroll in a class, they know that's the field they want to enter.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
That it does. It also teaches how to size a transformer for a load, and associated electronic/electrical skills.
I guess my point was that if my teachers had known what algebra was used for in the real world, I might have taken an interest in it.
They didn't have a clue when I asked that question and consequently I lost interest in the class, which cost me most of my summer going to summer school to make it up and pass by the skin of my teeth blowing it off as unimportant and having to learn it later.
Teachers need to know how to associate what they are teaching with life skills that the subject matter can pertain to in later life.
A biology teacher needs to know what they are teaching and transmit that intel for a student that might want to be a marine biologist, or a wildlife biologist instead of just teaching biology. Biology is a required class to graduate for a reason.
I guess I'm kind of associating regular school with Vo-tech? When those kids enroll in a class, they know that's the field they want to enter.
I get what you are saying, but you are assuming algebra is taught for the purpose of learning math. But, what about the kid that wants to become a nurse, do you offer a specific math course for that student too? vocational schools and universitys are there to teach those skill specific courses, public schools establish schemas for you to use in your career training.

Latest posts

Top Bottom