New 4" M&P Shield models announced

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw on Instagram, verified on S&W Website. New 4" shield models, 4" model, 4" ported model, 4" ported with red dot optic, all performance center models. Looks pretty interesting. MSRP is around $850, LGS quoted $800 for 4" Ported with optic.

Attachments

• 11788_01_lg.jpg
    11788_01_lg.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 154

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the shield line, I always felt the grip was too long (front to back) for me personally. I dont think this is a true comparission to the G48 either, they are not trying to "outdo" Glock in my opinion, just another variation of a very popular and liked carry gun. I think they need to have a 10 round extended mag option though, that is the way everything is going now. The price is steep, but IF it is a quality red dot then I think the price is okay. If you take into account the cost of a stock G48, cost to get it milled, and cost of a red dot (shield mrds) you would end up paying around the same. I will go look at one and feel it out. A G48 MOS or milled for RMR would be awesome carry gun. Like everything else, just my opinion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using a red dot optic on a carry pistol takes a LOT, and I do mean a LOT of practice to get proper sight alignment every time, and I don't think 99.9% of people carrying red dot pistols actually train to acquire the dot. They just hope it'll line up when needed.
Yep. I hand someone new to dots my M&P 5" Pro with a Trijicon and they have to roll it around for about 5 seconds or so to finally acquire the dot.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Burris fast fire 3, Trijicon RMR, Vortex Venom, and Holosun HS507c. The holosun was my favorite by far. It allows 2 moa dot, 35 moa circle, or 35 moa circle and 2moa dot combined, very EoTec like. It also was not the typical red dot look, I have a bad astigmatism and even with corrective lens all but the holosun looked stared. The holosun does not look washed out like an EoTec does. Very crisp. With the holosun on my g34 inhad no issues picking up the reticle. If it's set up right, just point naturally and look for the sights as normal, the dot will appear. Everyone is different though, so take it for what it is

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk