New 50 year old toy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... Who remembers what its like to set up a negative in a large format camera. Using a focusing screen while focusing and getting the lighting/framing/composition/animals/garbage/mountains/rivers/etc. etc. etc. then holding your breath waiting for that magical "this is it" moment when you pressed on the shutter assuming you had the right speed film, right focus angle, right depth of field, so on and so forth... for one shot!
Now, you see "photographers" taking 3000 frames for a wedding venue, and photo-shopping to get a decent album... and you see that not one of the pics has the catch light in the right place on the model's eye,
I have to admit, in general it has been great for the hobby getting a lot of interest without having to learn the basics, but it has also creating millions of mediocre at best photographs, which will never have a shot at creating that iconic National Geographic cover picture of View attachment 332883
It's a shame. I feel we have a lot more to give and are surrendering to being lazy. This is my 2 bits as a newbie, and I promise to dust off my Canon F-1 or god forbid my Mamiya ProS 67 and take some pics (while using a light meter and applying the rule of 1/3's). Happy new Year all!
Well said. I’m not arguing film over digital, because I do both. But I’m admittedly old fashioned, and really enjoy the film process. I also prefer my 1851 and 1860 Colts over a lot of modern firearms.

Jim Parry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been developing my black and white with a homemade concoction called Caffenol. It uses instant coffee, sodium carbonate (washing soda) and vitamin C. I still use a commercial fixer, but have read a swimming pool chemical will work as a fixer, just haven’t tried it.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a color developing kit, just hadn’t gotten around to it yet.
Color developing its exponentially more picky than b&w. Temperature is a tremendous factor with color. If you’re off by a few degrees, the negative is ruined with an off color tint. If you get into color, I highly recommend investing in an automated temperature controlled configuration.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a while, but there was a guy at the old area "turned antique store" off of Reno that always had a bunch of old cameras. You might check it out sometime.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Color developing its exponentially more picky than b&w. Temperature is a tremendous factor with color. If you’re off by a few degrees, the negative is ruined with an off color tint. If you get into color, I highly recommend investing in an automated temperature controlled configuration.
Either gonna get the Cinestill Temperature Control System, or a sous vide cooker. Probable the Cinestill TCS.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lord this brings back memories. My "job" through most of high school was freelance photography of school events. Had my own darkroom (B&W), a Nikon FG-20 and an assortment of lenses. Even picked up a Sunpak 555 side mount flash and a belt rechargeable battery pack for it. Unfortunately all of my negatives got lost in a move.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, much higher temp than B&W too.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow... Who remembers what its like to set up a negative in a large format camera. Using a focusing screen while focusing and getting the lighting/framing/composition/animals/garbage/mountains/rivers/etc. etc. etc. then holding your breath waiting for that magical "this is it" moment when you pressed on the shutter assuming you had the right speed film, right focus angle, right depth of field, so on and so forth... for one shot!
Now, you see "photographers" taking 3000 frames for a wedding venue, and photo-shopping to get a decent album... and you see that not one of the pics has the catch light in the right place on the model's eye,
I have to admit, in general it has been great for the hobby getting a lot of interest without having to learn the basics, but it has also creating millions of mediocre at best photographs, which will never have a shot at creating that iconic National Geographic cover picture of View attachment 332883
It's a shame. I feel we have a lot more to give and are surrendering to being lazy. This is my 2 bits as a newbie, and I promise to dust off my Canon F-1 or god forbid my Mamiya ProS 67 and take some pics (while using a light meter and applying the rule of 1/3's). Happy new Year all!
I think this is true. Film photographers seem to be more artistic and give thoughtful planning of each shot. Also, I have read that film
is better for high dynamic range - more detail in the highlights and shadows.

Digital has allowed a “spray and pray” approach to photography in hopes of a good photograph. Frankly, I tend more toward the digital approach but I try to consider the artistic and compositional side of photography with my photographs. I love digital for the photo editing when shooting in a raw format - I can correct many of my mistakes. And, techniques such as focus stacking or pixel shifted imaging would be difficult with film.

scootertrs

Marksman
Reaction score
But if you get to mix Negative photography art techniques with some of the digital formats... you are the man/// the best of both worlds. I remember doing a surveillance with 800 speed film pushed 2 stops or to 3200... The grains were the size of dimes' My son shower me a new Canon that has an ASA of 10000 on the dial. Normal length working in almost total darkness. A picture that 5 years ago may have been impossible to make. I love the new technology, but despise the throwing out the old to bring in the new..
But if you really want a challenge, go do some slides or Kodachromes -turns men into babes in the woods-All I really know is/// What a Hobby!!! or a procession

Latest posts

Top Bottom