New A/C time. Any techs here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes if you go too big for the space, the unit doesn't run long enough to drop the humidity to an appropriate level. Might research your specifics to determine what is best.

Yeah it doesn't seem to matter if it runs for 6 hrs straight (which it does when temps get around 100*) the humidity is still excessive. Home was built in 2010 and is 1500sq/ft and noticed insulation is blown right on top of sheetrock in attic with no vapor barrier. Not sure if vapor barriers are only a yankee thing, but you'd think it would help cut down on humidity along with plastic under slab.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm needing a condensing unit replaced. Old one is pulling 96 amps trying to start the compressor and won't start. A new start capacitor that he termed a "startup kit" didn't work. He said if it did there was no telling how long it would continue to work, "could be 10 years, or 10 minutes, just depends on how bad the compressor actually is" is what he said.

Does anyone know what a ballpark rate would be for a 14-16 SEER, 4 ton unit would be installed? I got one estimate today that was $5100 for an American Standard 14 SEER. Seems a bit high but maybe not. Should be an easy install, house is only a few years old. The Carrier unit was made in 2013 and is original to the house. The Carrier 10 year warranty goes to the original owner only, of course. :grumble:
You might check the start capacitor on the unit first. 5100 is not bad installed. Good luck

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone consider a home warranty? We had some A/C work done recently and he said our unit is on it's last leg so referred a home warranty company. A tech will come out a couple of times to add refrigerant before they end up saying it needs to be replaced. It's around $700/year I think but given our A/C performance and our hot water tank is 9 years old we'll be using it within the next year, two at the latest.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm needing a condensing unit replaced. Old one is pulling 96 amps trying to start the compressor and won't start. A new start capacitor that he termed a "startup kit" didn't work. He said if it did there was no telling how long it would continue to work, "could be 10 years, or 10 minutes, just depends on how bad the compressor actually is" is what he said.

Does anyone know what a ballpark rate would be for a 14-16 SEER, 4 ton unit would be installed? I got one estimate today that was $5100 for an American Standard 14 SEER. Seems a bit high but maybe not. Should be an easy install, house is only a few years old. The Carrier unit was made in 2013 and is original to the house. The Carrier 10 year warranty goes to the original owner only, of course. :grumble:
My sister just got a new system. It’s a 5 ton Concord 2 stage 16 seer and it was about $8100. And I had mine replaced in December with a 4 ton Bosch 2 stage heat pump 20 seer and mine was $12000.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was
Do the different sized units basically use the same size refrigerant lines to and from A coil to outside unit or are they sized by the ton? I currently have a 2.5 ton and would like to upsize to either 3 or 3.5 ton.
I had a 3.5 ton and went up to a 4 ton. They used the same lines. This new system runs so much better. It has been great so far.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes if you go too big for the space, the unit doesn't run long enough to drop the humidity to an appropriate level. Might research your specifics to determine what is best.

Yep. My guy i use told me to not get bigger than a 4 ton. My house is 1900 sq feet. I’m sure there are companies that would tell the opposite just to make more money.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone consider a home warranty? We had some A/C work done recently and he said our unit is on it's last leg so referred a home warranty company. A tech will come out a couple of times to add refrigerant before they end up saying it needs to be replaced. It's around $700/year I think but given our A/C performance and our hot water tank is 9 years old we'll be using it within the next year, two at the latest.
Lol. I told my daughter that she probably would have got cancelled if she had bought one 2.5 months ago when she bought this house.

First it was the washer and dryer which the previous owner left, then the dishwasher quit. Now the A/C and garbage disposal both have quit. Ain't a whole lot left! House was built in 2013 or 2014, I forget which. Everything worked on the inspections and she even had two of those done.

Kinda sad. My dryer was pushing 30 years when the ex got it in the divorce. They don't make things like they used to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom