New Acquisition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
A couple of years ago I picked up a new (Remington) Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. While I was a little hesitant because of the tales of quality woe I'd seen about the Remington produced Marlins the one I got has proven to be a good rifle.
Well, when you have a pistol caliber carbine you obviously need a like chambered pistol to go with it so I decided I needed a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt.
As we know 2020 and since has not been the best time for firearms availability. I've been on the hunt for almost 2 years. I'd been hitting my local circuit of gun stores on a regular basis and had even left word at a couple that know me well enough that I was looking for a Blackhawk in .45 Colt and if they got one in I would be "Johnny on the spot" to buy.
Saturday I get a call from my local gun and pawn shop. Fellow had come in to sell a Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP. I ran out of the house so fast I forgot to kiss the wife.
5.5" barrel, two extra sets of grips, a Hogue over-molded set and a set of Altamont rosewood along the factory grip plus 2 boxes of Hornady FTX ammo.
I doubt there had been 50 round through the gun and the .45 ACP cylinder looked unused. Came to an agreement with the seller and slip the gun shop guy a bit for a finders fee and I'm a happy camper. Walked down to my range and ran about 150 rounds of both .45 Colt and .45 ACP through it. Functioned flawlessly and is at least as accurate as I am.

It's a 2018 production according to Ruger's serial # look up. A very light scuff mark on the frame as can be seen in the pic but other than that it's in excellent, practically "like new" condition.
Shoots great with .45 Colt and .45 ACP. Now all I need to do is work up a load that works well in the 1894 and the revolver.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley and a 20" octagon Rossi in 45 Colt.
My Godzilla load for the Rossi is a 335gr LBT over max load of H110. Recoil is not for the squeamish. Downrange energy and penetration is really impressive. I put on a Marble peep rear sight blade I got from Brownells, definate accuracy improvement out past 100yds

That Godzilla load is two hands full of "please don't hit myself in the face with the barrel" in the Bisley.A bit excessive for recoil therapy.

Bisley likes the 300gr JSP CorBon, killed 9 whitetails with that load in that pistol over the years I have had it. I love that Bisley, if I could only have 1 gun its there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom