New and curious about shooting on personal property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be rules and you may have to ask Sheriff/Game warden about it.
Used to be you couldn't discharge a firearm within so many feet of a structure.
This was to keep people from shooting next to their property line when the neighbor they didn't like
house was just 50 feet away. Hence " Disturbing the peace"

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey your good to go...neighbor...I live two miles from Adair....

We also shoot on his 45 acres...no one cares...just be safe is what they tell you

I'm in sequoyah county..just east of Nicut...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know of any county in OK that prohibits someone from shooting on their own property, as a matter of fact I'd say it is very unlikely they would not allow it. But I'd recommend calling Adair County Sheriff's office and ask them.
The only issue the law enforcement could come up with is a safety issue if one of the rounds leaves the range. Build a berm and build it high unless there is a natural berm is my advise to the OP.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean you guys dont open the sliding glass doors and use the dining room table as a shooting bench? :anyone:
My dad used the dresser as a rest when living in town. He grew show roses in a bed that was mulched with cotton seed hulls. Cats loved to pee in those hulls, and tear the heck out of it.
.22 short in a pump action .22 with the window just open a few inches, resulted in almost no sound leaving the room.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be rules and you may have to ask Sheriff/Game warden about it.
Used to be you couldn't discharge a firearm within so many feet of a structure.
This was to keep people from shooting next to their property line when the neighbor they didn't like
house was just 50 feet away. Hence " Disturbing the peace"
I got into this a several years ago neighbor complaining about noise to Sherriff's office. State law I believe then was can not exceed 80 decibels leaving the property. Shooting a 300WM was only 73 decibels at fence line. It didn't hurt the day they called it was a Deputy using my range cause it was closer than the departments to town and Sherriff's office.

Latest posts

Top Bottom