New AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking back through some pictures on my computer and found this one from a few months ago when I got all the parts in to start a new rifle build. It felt like Christmas morning as a kid looking at all these parts getting ready to put them together. I've probably built a dozen or so in the past but this was the first one in a couple of years. Does anybody else get that excited when you're finally ready to start putting parts together?

I don't have a picture on my computer of the completed rifle but I'll try to take one and add it to this thread. The one thing I learned from assembling this gun, is that while CMC triggers are awesome, their lower parts kits are horrible. I ended up having to use left over parts from other builds to use on this gun. The safety would hang up and you would need two fingers to disengage it, the mag release would stick and you would have to wiggle it to get it to release, and the takedown pins were tighter than any I have ever seen. I thought I was saving some money buying the trigger with the lower parts kit but CMC must buy those parts from the lowest bidder to throw them in the package.
Photo Feb 13, 8 45 43 PM.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking build. I've had issues with the CMC stuff at times. The disconnect held up to its name. That's all it would do,disconnect. I can't tell if that's a spikes lower but I've had to open the pin holes on a couple of them or file the opening for the mag realease. They are still fun to build even if you run into a couple snafus

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just put one together tonight. I replaced the upper on my patrol rifle and had a complete upper in the safe and a stripped lower on the shelf. The temptation was to great to not build out the lower and put them together.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got 90% of parts for a new upper build. Can’t make up my mind what caliber to purchase a barrel in.
So many choices that overlap each other ballistically. The bullet choices are incredible now.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to get some more lowers to have on hand for builds. Then I can pick up a part here and there and put them together.

I’ve got 90% of parts for a new upper build. Can’t make up my mind what caliber to purchase a barrel in.
So many choices that overlap each other ballistically. The bullet choices are incredible now.

Well what calibers do you already have? I am sure we can find something obscure for you to build.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well what calibers do you already have? I am sure we can find something obscure for you to build.

Kind of been down this road. Couple of years ago got a .243WSSM in 1:8 twist for heavy bullets.
Have a .243 WSSM in a 1:12 twist coming for light weight hyper velocity bullets. Both in AR platform.
I can’t think of anything thumper related that is needed. Everything in my area is bean land distances. Possible 500 yd or better if one has the experience to shoot that far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom