New AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good lookin' build.

I have a few lowers laying around somewhere. Although I enjoy building rifles, I hate it. I can't just build a rifle, I have to build it to my standards, and it gets too effin' expensive.

I know exactly what you mean! I can’t even buy a complete rifle without factoring in the parts I will have to replace or add to make it acceptable to me. I’m a big Daniel Defense fan and they make some really solid rifles but even if I buy one of theirs I know I have to replace the trigger, charging handle, stock, add sights, add suppressor mount, add a light, add a vfg, etc.

I love building guns because I can make every part what I want and what I know works good for the way I like to shoot, but I know even buying these parts at dealer cost I could never sell the gun for what I have in it. Including the trijicon scope I easily have $2,000 in this build.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean! I can’t even buy a complete rifle without factoring in the parts I will have to replace or add to make it acceptable to me. I’m a big Daniel Defense fan and they make some really solid rifles but even if I buy one of theirs I know I have to replace the trigger, charging handle, stock, add sights, add suppressor mount, add a light, add a vfg, etc.

I love building guns because I can make every part what I want and what I know works good for the way I like to shoot, but I know even buying these parts at dealer cost I could never sell the gun for what I have in it. Including the trijicon scope I easily have $2,000 in this build.
I was eyeballing a 6.5 precision rifle at the Friends of the NRA banquet last week. My only thoughts were that I'd have to replace the trigger and spend a grand on glass to make the gun perform as designed.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was eyeballing a 6.5 precision rifle at the Friends of the NRA banquet last week. My only thoughts were that I'd have to replace the trigger and spend a grand on glass to make the gun perform as designed.

I have been thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor for a build. My main slow down is finding some cheap bullets for reloading. I just use some 150gr 30-30 round nose plated ones for my 300blk which actually ends up being cheaper than reloading for 223. If it's not something I can do cheap to plink with from time to time I won't shoot it as much. Right now the cheapest I have come acroos is about .17 per bullet. But I believe you can convert 308 brass to use, just have to resize and trim and I think that 7.62x39 brass can be converted as well but it has to be expanded (fire formed) so won't last as long. But it could be fun for some longer range shooting so will probably be my next one.

At some point I will probably do a 458socom or 450bushmaster and a 308 ar10

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor for a build. My main slow down is finding some cheap bullets for reloading. I just use some 150gr 30-30 round nose plated ones for my 300blk which actually ends up being cheaper than reloading for 223. If it's not something I can do cheap to plink with from time to time I won't shoot it as much. Right now the cheapest I have come acroos is about .17 per bullet. But I believe you can convert 308 brass to use, just have to resize and trim and I think that 7.62x39 brass can be converted as well but it has to be expanded (fire formed) so won't last as long. But it could be fun for some longer range shooting so will probably be my next one.

I just don't have a need or a reason to own a thumper round. My areas I hunt are wide open fields with few to zero trees for the most part.
One exception in a small 22 acre wooded area and the .44 mag ruger carbine handles most of the work in that area.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Creedmoor may be formable from .308, but not from x39. That case head is different and way too short. 6.5 Grendel may be possible, I think it based off the parent case for the x39.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 6.5 is a solid round. That was my last build, a LaRue UU 6.5G; just a smidgen over 1k to build it. I put right at 700 for optic and mount and it's a baaaaaaaaaad rifle....

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bin thinkin bout a 6or 6.5mm CM. I dont really want to do a full build though. I just cant decide on a decent starter rifle for the project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom