New brass vs once fired brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gradually gathering equipment to start reloading 45acp. To get me started, do you think I should buy new brass or once fired? I'd like to know the "history" of the brass, especially as a beginner, but it's obviously at a premium. Worth it, or senseless??

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, new brass is not worth it unless you're going to do something special with it. I buy new brass for national level sanctioned pistol matches and would for a big game hunt that cost a lot of money and effort. Otherwise, I always go for once fired and never look back.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know how true the story is but I'll tell it anyway.

Over on the benos forums someone was asking about using new brass for big matches (question might have been in reference to nationals). Quite a few people swore that the best brass for big matches was once fired through the gun used at said match. The reason was that a few big names had problems with new brass not having flash holes, and thus resulting in mucho lost points. I don't know if it's true or not.

But anyway, back on topic. Once fired is just fine, personally, I load every piece of junk I find as long as it holds a primer and isn't split.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
bought new for my 22-250 & 4 of the 100 cases had no flash hole
Fast twist barrel & factory would not cut it. But this is a tack driver so it rally no problem for a few pieces.

Usually use once fired for most

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how true the story is but I'll tell it anyway.

Over on the benos forums someone was asking about using new brass for big matches (question might have been in reference to nationals). Quite a few people swore that the best brass for big matches was once fired through the gun used at said match. The reason was that a few big names had problems with new brass not having flash holes, and thus resulting in mucho lost points. I don't know if it's true or not.

But anyway, back on topic. Once fired is just fine, personally, I load every piece of junk I find as long as it holds a primer and isn't split.

I'm inclined to call BS on this one. Wouldn't the lack of a flash hole be appparent when the decapping pin hit and the case couldn't be sized? I seriously doubt they removed the decapping pin just because it was new brass.

Once fired from the same gun will yield better accuracy because the case will fit the chamber more tightly. But it will not be more forgiving of a dirty chamber or foreign object debris. I prefer 100% reliability over an extra degree of accuracy. I'm not saying that new brass is that much better, but it can't hurt. Also, I've never seen missing flash holes or other defects with Starline like I've seen with other brands (cough, cough...Winchester).

Latest posts

Top Bottom