New Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I know all that...well versed in it actually. I guess I should say that a 1-7 isn't going to do any harm and there will most likely be zero issues. I've shot 6.5CM and 260 Rem in 1-7 in the past and they performed fine. Anything tighter can get squirrelly., but yes, 1-8 is the generally accepted spec for a 6.5.

Well, I doubt you'll overstabilize in a 1:7, but I'm betting you'll have to shell out for a blank and then have CLE or Craddock etc... custom spin a barrel up for you.

I've looked at about a dozen sites now since we started this, and I've yet to find any production or semi-custom place yet that offers anything but 1:8 for the Grendel.

The good news is that there are a lot more products on the shelves than there were 1.5 years ago.

I run a 20" Wilson Combat on my pig rig and quasi-target Grendel. It has shot quite well with the 100gr TTSX, 120 NBT, 120 TSX, 123 SST, and 123 CC. Next up is the 120 Gold Dot once my shoulder heals up well enough to get back out there.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at about a dozen sites now since we started this, and I've yet to find any production or semi-custom place yet that offers anything but 1:8 for the Grendel.
I have only seen the MTO Mos-Tek site he cited and there was one place a long time ago that would do something similar, but I don't recall.
All the tight twist stuff was conducted under data gathering exercises, so yes, not commercial solutions. They should be though.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only seen the MTO Mos-Tek site he cited and there was one place a long time ago that would do something similar, but I don't recall.
All the tight twist stuff was conducted under data gathering exercises, so yes, not commercial solutions. They should be though.

Well, if you do go 1:7, I'd definitely be interested in seeing the results.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything steel related right now is generally more than 20-30% higher. Serious shortages all over. Starting to ease off a little now but the next major project our company is working on went about 1.8 million higher just on the steel last year. Not quite double but really put the squeeze on things with all the other prices being quite a bit higher as well.
Just got my 50 cal Lilja barrel a week ago, it took about sixteen weeks from time of order, it is a standard heavy straight tapered contour for 50 BMG bolt guns and it cost me about $50 more than the last one I bought.
I was told that business is brisk and yes barrel steel is harder to come by.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is not the right spot for this, but I really didn't see any place specifically pertaining to building AR's or handguns. Here goes...
I have a matched billet set of AR15 receivers, and I just ordered a barrel. The barrel was a bit painful. The reason is, that tier one, match-grade barrels are no longer sitting on shelves anywhere I guess, ready to ship. I did find a few with brand names like Lilja, Bartlin, Kreig, and such but the cost was high I'd estimate about 30 to 35 percent higher than it was pre-COVID madness. I expected that for "standard" barrels but not really for the more expensive match barrels. I had hoped to order a JP Rifles barrel kit, which would include the bolt, (not BCG) adjustable gas block, gas tube, and muzzle device. I've built two other rifles with their barrels and they are outstanding, so I was hoping for a third, but they are out of them and seem to have no idea when they have them again.
After looking for a number of sites, makers ect., I came across an outfit called Mos-Tek out of AZ. They make barrels, some receivers, complete uppers, and a few muzzle devices. I tried to research them but only found a small number of people who claimed to have used their products. Their passion seems to be the .350 Legend. What I did find indicated excellent workmanship and outstanding customer service. The few places I found actual shooting reviews were impressive, but I wish I had found a whole lot more. After several weeks of agonizing over this, I finally ordered my barrel from them. I also ordered a gas block, gas tube, and bolt. Since I included cryogenic treatment it's going to take about 90 days before they can ship. The caliber is the 6.5 Grendel, about my favorite in the AR15 platform. My daughter has made it clear she intends to steal my existing Grendel, LoL!

Does anyone here have any experience, or even know anything about Mos-Tek? The price, with the other options, was pretty decent. Not cheap, but respectable.

While I wait for the barrel, I'll get the rest of the parts for the lower which will include a Timney Calvin Elite trigger and a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock. I have an optic I'll put on it already but I will need to get a one-piece scope mount with 20 MOA milled in. The purpose of this rig is to ring steel, out to about 1200 yards.
Never heard of that company but 90 days is PDQ, most barrel makers I deal with are averaging 14-16 weeks or longer, Pac-Nor is up to 6 months wait.

Chris Harrison

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The chamber is a touch deeper to accommodate longer bullets. While I expect the traditional 123 grain to shoot well enough, I'm going to try some longer bullets like the SMK 130's (if I can find some) and probably some of the Berger bullets in a similar weight. Unfortunately, we sold our house. (made a pile out of that deal) and some income-producing property in another state so that we could buy my father in laws place. He's 85, and while very active, he needs family close by. So my wife is with him most of the time as I needed to stay put until I can retire when my wife can get Medicare. I'm living in the camper and there is not much room for reloading equipment I can tell you. But I am going to get set up at my father-in-law's place which is two hours away so that I can reload. He's got 35 acres and a couple of shop and storage sheds and I'll be making one of them my reloading room after we get the kitchen in the house remodeled. I have to admit I'm looking forward to owning it all free and clear. But my father-in-law will be staying there. We get along great, have for 40 years so it's no problem. But it will be a while before I can develop any handloads for it.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The chamber is a touch deeper to accommodate longer bullets. While I expect the traditional 123 grain to shoot well enough, I'm going to try some longer bullets like the SMK 130's (if I can find some) and probably some of the Berger bullets in a similar weight. Unfortunately, we sold our house. (made a pile out of that deal) and some income-producing property in another state so that we could buy my father in laws place. He's 85, and while very active, he needs family close by. So my wife is with him most of the time as I needed to stay put until I can retire when my wife can get Medicare. I'm living in the camper and there is not much room for reloading equipment I can tell you. But I am going to get set up at my father-in-law's place which is two hours away so that I can reload. He's got 35 acres and a couple of shop and storage sheds and I'll be making one of them my reloading room after we get the kitchen in the house remodeled. I have to admit I'm looking forward to owning it all free and clear. But my father-in-law will be staying there. We get along great, have for 40 years so it's no problem. But it will be a while before I can develop any handloads for it.
I shoot multiple 264's and there hasn't been a lot of verity out there but I see more options coming back slowly.