New cartridge and rifle. 350 legend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/23/winchester-steals-new-cartridge-show-with-350-legend

IMG_3761.jpg

The straight-walled .350 Legend immediately piques the interest of hunters, as it will be legal in 47 of 50 states with its design. The true straight wall is not necked up and would make it the fastest straight wall cartridge on the market. The bullet diameter is .357 inches with a shell case length of 1.71 inches.

Ballistics indicate the new Legend to have significantly more energy than both the .300 Blackout and .30-30 Win, with less recoil than both the .30-30 and .243. The tight-lipped folks over at Winchester claim to have taken several dozen deer during testing, with none making it further than 30-yards.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Was reading about this yesterday, doesn't really do anything for me. Should be pretty close to .357 Maximum if shot out of the same barrel length.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
357Max.JPG
thing looks and sounds like a .357 Max out of a Handi rifle

eta: I just bought a 180gr Gas Checked mold from lee for a 357 Max round. But it might be interesting to see what new bullets are developed for this version of new.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Comments I’ve read put case length at about 1.8”, so almost almost two tenths longer than .357 max.

It’s also based on the .223/5.56 case, but a straight wall, so in theory it should be possible to run in an AR-15 platform. That makes it interesting to me.

With 2.26” being mag length, that leaves roughly 0.46” for bullet to extend past the case mouth.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that it will be an interesting development but the one thing I see as being a shortcoming is that you will likely not be able to convert 223 brass over as the stretch will likely end up causing splits more than anything and unless it is VASTLY superior to 300BLK in energy then it will end up being a niche round like the 224 Valkyrie is right now. And right now it looks like it will have lighter bullet weight compared to 300BLK. Not to mention that 300BLK will work with ANY off the shelf .308 bullet which is another thing to think about as the cost to reload will be a lot higher and I have my doubts that cast lead will work correctly if their energy claims are true. The only saving feature would be the ability to use .357 pistol FMJ for plinking, if that isn't possible it will take a while to catch on.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some states do not allow a bullet of a certain size to be used for hunting. Most of the time it has to be larger than .22 for common game. I don't see where it's superior to much other than 223/5.56 in that regard.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some states do not allow a bullet of a certain size to be used for hunting. Most of the time it has to be larger than .22 for common game. I don't see where it's superior to much other than 223/5.56 in that regard.

Ah, I thought it was something to do with the "straight wall" as that seemed to be a major point. Had me thinking there was more to it than just caliber.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nahh no one cares if it's a straight wall or bottleneck or tapered wall honestly. Plus with as long of a case as it will have I can imagine they will have some issues with cases sticking when someone tries to get the load a little hot compared to a tapered wall case. The major advantage of a straight wall vs tapered wall is that the case will hold a little more powder. In an AR platform I have a feeling it would have to be overgassed for reliable extraction though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom