New cartridge and rifle. 350 legend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What will the cartridge headspace off of in this straight walled case.
The case mouth?
Will the bullet be jammed a bit?
How well will that short stubby bullet feed up the ramp.

Only reason it interests me is that I have some 357 bullet molds I could powder coat and gas check the round.
I have one mold that throws 170gr bullets with my alloy but rated at 158 gr.
No farther than you would really hunt with this I think it would decent if it all worked out.

But on the other hand my .223 kills deer and hogs in their tracks with just 1 tiny 55 gr round. and I do not need to meet any odd rules like some states except I do need 55gr or heavier bulllet.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am a relative newb when it comes to hunting round performance. I have only shot deer with my marlin 30/30. Never had an issue, but never fired more than 150 yards. I have always been of the opinion that placement is more important than ballistics amoungst rifle cartridges. I want to get into semi-long range shooting but I want to also use the rifle for game hunting as I’ll put all the eggs in one basket. I want something that will be able to take down an Elk with good placement (probably no more than 300 yards) but also something I could also use to ping steel at 1000. I was thinking 6.5cm but do I need to look more at something like this?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The case mouth?

Only reason it interests me is that I have some 357 bullet molds I could powder coat and gas check the round.
No farther than you would really hunt with this I think it would decent if it all worked out.

But on the other hand my .223 kills deer and hogs in their tracks with just 1 tiny 55 gr round. and I do not need to meet any odd rules like some states except I do need 55gr or heavier bulllet.

Case mouth I would guess, other straight walled rimless do.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a relative newb when it comes to hunting round performance. I have only shot deer with my marlin 30/30. Never had an issue, but never fired more than 150 yards. I have always been of the opinion that placement is more important than ballistics amoungst rifle cartridges. I want to get into semi-long range shooting but I want to also use the rifle for game hunting as I’ll put all the eggs in one basket. I want something that will be able to take down an Elk with good placement (probably no more than 300 yards) but also something I could also use to ping steel at 1000. I was thinking 6.5cm but do I need to look more at something like this?

If you are considering elk at 300 yards, this is NOT what you want! Too much rainbow trajectory. You'd be better off with the Creedmoor (where legal).

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Something like this would not be ideal for Elk at 300 yards and way too much drift and drop and loss of energy especially at long range steel plinking.

My cousins friends use 30-30 for elk every year in Colorado and get their elk every year. There are 2 30-30 guys in his camp and both come together and said 250 yards was the max range they would shoot an elk with their 30-30 and have taken many at 250 yards.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The case mouth?

I'm guessing that the month or the extractor are the only options with a straight walled case.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not think the mouth will be bottomed out really.
It isn't on my 45acp.
Might be close but not all the way solid.
My bottle neck rounds are not bottomed out solid on anything either now that I really think about it.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester may be trying to accommodate hunters in states with jacked up hunting laws but I think it's their attempt to have more skin in the game. An AR platform, strait wall "pistol" case, light recoil, ballistics comparable to a 30-30? Sounds like a good close in youth gun to me.

But Winchester has grossly ignored the trends in modern hunting and still has not introduced something to the long range hunters and their lack of support for chamberings they created.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Max is real popular with the single shot guys. They were reaming out the 357 Mag rifles to the Max. I can see some getting the next tenth reamed out for this new stretch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom