New coated lead bullet thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems we previously had several coated lead bullet threads going at once so Im adding one more.

I just got in the coated bullet game since Ive started loading .40 a whole lot lately. I got a good deal on some Bayou bullets and I liked them really well especially for the money. They shot pretty good and I ate through 500 of those pretty quick.

Now I have a friend that casts bullets and another friend that does powdercoating. I used to powdercoat but gave it up years ago. Anyway, they worked out a trade as to where one will cast all the .40 slugs the other wants in trade for powdercoating all the first guys bullets. And since Im the one with the .40 reloading setup, bam, Im in. Just loaded a little over 50 so we will see how they shoot. I only shot two to see where my FPS was so I havent grouped any yet. Maybe later after the wind dies down.

So here is what we have found so far. The cheap Harbor Freight powder does not coat nearly as well as good stuff. My old leftover Hotcoat stuff does pretty good so we just used it since I had it. The stuff his company buys in bulk does the best. Not sure about the brand but I can get it if anybody wants it. And also try not to use black. Some black has silica in it which is no bueno for shooting down barrels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom