New Compact Pickups: Which One?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you were in the market for a new compact, light duty truck, mostly for just driving around town, the occasional road trip etc. what would you buy? Toyota Tacoma? Chevy Colorado? Ford Ranger? Nissan? Others not yet mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Jeep Gladiator?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yes. But it’s expensive and overkill for what I’m looking for. It makes me think a Ford Ranger had a one night stand with a HumVee.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would buy the Tacoma.
It's expensive but holds value well.

I have a 2010 Ranger and it's a fine reliable truck for me.
The new Ranger has a turbocharged 2.3l Duratec engine and I'm just not enthusiastic about turbochargers.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along with a Suburban I own a full size Silverado extended cab and I half heartedly kicked around the idea of down sizing to a smaller pickup last spring so I went to a few lots and did a little window shopping.

Being 6'4"- 6'5"ish my main concern (even before brand is considered) is leg room and not only forward but side to side so I don't feel like I've got my legs pulled together to avoid hitting the drivers door and the console with my knees......with my Silverado I can open my legs and feel completely comfortable.

I slid the seat all the way back and sat in four or five new mid size / compact pickups and I felt cramped in all of them......when the time comes to get another new truck I'll be staying full size to keep the in cab comfort.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you were in the market for a new compact, light duty truck, mostly for just driving around town, the occasional road trip etc. what would you buy? Toyota Tacoma? Chevy Colorado? Ford Ranger? Nissan? Others not yet mentioned?

I guess the GMC Canyon is pretty much the same as a Chevy Colorado . . . but that would be my choice for a smaller truck.

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/canyon

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along with a Suburban I own a full size Silverado extended cab and I half heartedly kicked around the idea of down sizing to a smaller pickup last spring so I went to a few lots and did a little window shopping.

Being 6'4"- 6'5"ish my main concern (even before brand is considered) is leg room and not only forward but side to side so I don't feel like I've got my legs pulled together to avoid hitting the drivers door and the console with my knees......with my Silverado I can open my legs and feel completely comfortable.

I slid the seat all the way back and sat in four or five new mid size / compact pickups and I felt cramped in all of them......when the time comes to get another new truck I'll be staying full size to keep the in cab comfort.

I'm as tall as you and thankfully, my Nissan Titan has plenty of room . . .

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Well I get that Big Man, but what if you were just a regular size fellow? You know us guys just under 6’ have to be able to reach the pedals. What about that? Which smaller truck would get your interest?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the size but it is different.

Wifey showed me this since she loves her Forester.

Subaru

upload_2020-5-27_6-55-0.jpeg

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Tacoma. Mine is a 98 model with over 250,000 miles on it. It has zero mechanical problems and is completely original. My dad just bought 2009 Tacoma and he loves it. As mentioned they hold their value extremely well and are dependable to boot. Plus, the newer models come in colors that remind me of FDE, OD Green, and other popular cerakote colors. That way your carry guns match your truck!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom