New Compact Pickups: Which One?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on the Tacoma. There's a good reason why they hold their resale value. I bought my son a new 4 door version in 2005 to drive to college down in Odessa, Texas. The last thing I wanted was for him to have pickup troubles so far from home. I wanted him to have a good warranty plus everything I read about them said they were reliable as all get out. He sold it last year and bought a Tundra. The only thing we ever replaced on it was the alternator a couple years ago.
EDIT: Forgot, we did change the brake pads too.

Last edited:

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a 1999 Ranger for 16 years, it had a Mazda drive train. Would have bought another but at that time Ford had quit making them for the US market so I bought a 2015 Tacoma 4 door. Have been very pleased with the Tacoma and I would definitely buy another one. I only wish mine had a 6' bed instead of the 5' bed, but I guess the 5' is common with the 4 door. I really like having the four door as well when I head to the range or have the grand kids with me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a 100% Ford guy..........for a small truck buy a Tacoma lol. When you decide which truck you're going to go with, look at other surrounding states besides OK. I've been looking off and on for a truck for my son and the OK small truck market is limited and high imo. OK is a full size truck state, not so much a small truck state. During my searches I ended up looking at some trucks in Ohio, Penn, ect and small trucks are a dime a dozen there, from Rangers to Tacomas. You can buy a nice lower mileage there for the same price as something that doesn't even run and looks like it was used as a daycare facility here.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@druryj if I were closer to the norm height wise and in the market for a new truck I'd be looking at, in no particular order, either a Titan or Tacoma......I know a couple of fellas that have them and they couldn't be happier.

View attachment 163778

View attachment 163779

I really like my Titan . . . more than I expected if I'm being honest.

IMG_2004.jpg

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've drive a 2017 TRD Tacoma and although it has lots of positives like holding its resale (I believe its #2 below the Wrangler) and reliability, aftermarket support, cult following..... there are a few things I don't like about it.

1. Gearing (3.90). It's constantly searching for the right gear driving in anything other than flat terrain. Fifth & sixth gear are OD.

2. Seating position. You feel more like you're driving a car than truck. The seat bottom is close to the floor which causes your legs to stretch further out.

3. No Apple Car Play, but the newer models have it.

4. Any type of aftermarket modifications will probably require a body panel to be cut or partial frame cut out and welded.

5. Does not have a front locker.

6. It lurches when I back up with light pressure on the break peddle. Dang near took my side mirror off coming out of the garage once.

7. Drum rear breaks.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a GMC Canyon at work. I've used it to haul the occasional load of miscellaneous goods. I can say, without a doubt, as a big guy, it's surprisingly comfortable, but completely gutless. I hauled 100 board feet of white oak in the bed, weight equivalent to about five sheets of plywood, and it had to kick up two gears on the inclines between Chickasha and Lawton. Gutless.

Tacoma for the win.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tacoma for the win. Bought mine new in 95, drove it 365,000 miles with only one timing belt change at 175,000 miles. The belt was replaced as a normal maintenance issue. The belt coming off looked brand new.
Other than brake pads that took a total of 10 minutes to change after removing the tires, no other work was ever done with it. You don't even have to remove the calipers to replace the brake pads.
Sold it to a guy in 2016 for $4000 cash. He drove it back and forth to California a couple of times and added another 25K miles to it before selling it for $6000.
The same engine from 95 is powering the current models with just a few modifications.
The Tacoma owners forum has several listing 3/4 million miles on their tacoma's.
A common mantra among Tacoma owners is that when all living things on the earth cease to exist but one, there will only be two things still capable of moving left on the earth. One will be the cockroach and the toyota 3.4 liter V6 engine the other.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I bought a new Ford Ranger from Bob Moore Ford in South OKC. I got the XLT model, mid-range as far as options. Chile Pepper Red, I dig the wheels. Truck handles well and with the Eco-Boost 2.3L engine, has plenty of get up and go. I'm pleased with it. The sales experience was very good too, thanks to a recommendation of a solid member here who has some clout in the industry. Now, I need to get a bed liner.
97848ce7068427d605e4616a5bcafac9.jpg

d95956cdbda604ebbe827321452e08b1.jpg

575f5bd433086e38671300a7bfcdf0d7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom