New deer blind build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I helped a friend build a stand that was 12' tall. He insisted on putting the legs, cross braces, and platform frame all together then hauling it down on a trailer.

We like to never got that thing stood up. It was a very hot day and we just about tore it up getting it upright and it just about tore us up doing it.

I bet! Mine is only 8 foot tall. We assembled it on site. My wife wanted it 10 feet tall but after we pushed it upright I think she was glad I talked her outta that. Even after sitting in a chair your heads still well over 10 feet in the air. Which is more than enough for me.

Also 8 feet is much easier to work on it in general. Siding, roof, etc...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is 2" pipe metal frame, wood box construction with the floor at a tad under 14'. I have it anchored with two 4' earth anchors that screw into the ground and 3/8" aircraft cable using big turnbuckles to get tension. We have incredible winds on occasion with some windows getting blown out, but the stand is always still there.
I wish I'd put the platform with the door like elkstalker built, but had to use what I had at hand, and it can be tricky getting in and out with a vertical steel ladder, and a crawl in door.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our shooting houses are 4' X 8' with steel stairs and a handrail. They sit on telephone poles approx 10' off the ground overlooking known trails and food plots. We could put heaters in them but there is no need. The houses are comfortable for 3 people.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pics

Attachments

• 5517023B-4770-4356-90B6-33A489DAA1EA.jpeg
    5517023B-4770-4356-90B6-33A489DAA1EA.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 5ABFB6FB-B49C-4E2D-93CA-731B3184B152.jpeg
    5ABFB6FB-B49C-4E2D-93CA-731B3184B152.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 250

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ground is so soft right now I got 4 earth anchors and screwed them in the ground and then cabled it to each corner of the stand.

Honestly that stand is SO heavy anchoring it probably wasn’t even necessary but it’s good insurance.

Can't over anchor them IMO. I lost a good one that had all four corners anchored with cable 10' out, and each corner leg cris-crossed with two t-posts wired tight. Anchors were pulled out and t-posts bent over. That was a 14' foot one, 80mph winds.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't over anchor them IMO. I lost a good one that had all four corners anchored with cable 10' out, and each corner leg cris-crossed with two t-posts wired tight. Anchors were pulled out and t-posts bent over. That was a 14' foot one, 80mph winds.

Well yea if a F1 tornado hits it I don’t expect it to survive that. Lol. But I understand what you mean. I lost one that was about 300 yards away to a small tornado that went thru the place. So been there before.

Agreed you overdoing it is way better than under doing.

I’ve got two others. Frames are built outta 2” oilfield pipe welded together and cemented 2 feet in the ground. They may lose their siding but those frames ain’t going anywhere. Figure my great grandkids will be using those steel pipe frames when I am long gone!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had 69 mph wind gusts last week. 50+ most of the day.

Yes I know I was out working in them! LOL That's when I built the stand. All last week. Yes it was miserable. Obviously I had to wait until the wind died down to put the steel siding on otherwise it woulda been 3 counties over before I got ahold of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom