New deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Needing something kid friendly (12 y.o.+). I have been borrowing an A bolt chambered in .243 but I need something in my safe that isn' borrowed. The browning is a tack driver (as far as factory out if the box goes). Would love to buy a carbon copy but the abolt is no more.

2 questions....1.What guns should I look At? I don't want to go the ultra cheapo route but don't want to drop huge dollars. Can a solid 1"moa rifle be had under $700 w/o glass?
2. Caliber....243 is good. What would be better? Shots on ok white tails 300yrds or less.

Thanks

jarrettszcz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could always go AR, but not in 223. Go to a 300 Blackout or 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 or many others. Plus if its not in 223 there is no magazine limit of 7 when deer hunting in Oklahoma. If you want to change calibers later its super easy to do and cheap. 6 position stock will fit from now through adulthood.
But the American line of Rugers is also a fine choice as well as many others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
In general, more bullet mass equals more recoil. A good stock though and there won’t be a big difference. In the “Short Action” class of guns, other than a short action magnum I wouldn’t worry about recoil as a factor.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with 20 gauge single shot with slug. I was a puny guy 4 foot 11 " until 10th grade.
Nothing wrong with .243 I got one for the wife and she said it kicked too hard.I loaded cast in my 30-06.. that fixed the recoil issues.
I loaded reduced loads in .243 with H4895 and 87 v max.. this now kicked like a .223 bolt gun. and nothing wrong with that .223 bolt either.. teach shot placement and just about any caliber will kill.
As a kid i was given 1 bullet and told not to come back to camp without a dead animal.

I had to hunt. Dang drunk Sioux Indian meant what he said..DO NOT come back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom