New deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked at rifles today to get a feel for the different brands. Really liked the feel and balance of the savage 16 light weight hunter. The other savages felt heavy. I know the light weight is going to feel like more recoil....wondering how bad in a 7-08 . Also liked the tikka .

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Looked at rifles today to get a feel for the different brands. Really liked the feel and balance of the savage 16 light weight hunter. The other savages felt heavy. I know the light weight is going to feel like more recoil....wondering how bad in a 7-08 . Also liked the tikka .

.243, .260, 7mm-08, 308 all the same case........heavier bullet more recoil.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If for a boy i would go 7m-08. FOr the past four seasons my 14 year old has used a Rem 700 in 257 Roberts with a youth stock on it. Full size stock can be put on when older. Light rifle and he handles it well. I would highly recommend finding a good used Remington 788 carbine in 7m-08. Mine shoots light out and is handy for heavy brush and thick OK woods. They also make this rifle in 243 as well.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy's daughter shoots a youth length Savage in 7mm-08 with their version of the "accu trigger". Not sure of the exact model number. She is not very big. Gun fits well and recoil has not been an issue. She is deadly with it.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bringing this back up...

Seriously looking at the Savage 16 and the Tikka T3x stainless. Right now the Savage 16 package w nikon scope (after $100 rebate) would be around $500. Don' really need the scope, but....

The Tikka would run about $250 more.

Would the Tikka be worth the extra $250?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Savage with the Accu-trigger would be my choice and I don't buy anything because it's cheaper.
Savage makes a great low cost rifle that is very accurate out of the box.
I haven't had a lot of experience with Tikka, and don't know if their trigger is adjustable or a standard factory trigger. with lots of take up and lots of reset.
Someone else would have to comment on that.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandson has a Remington 700 youth model in 243. I changed the stock to a LSS light weight stock. It is a sub MOA rifle.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bringing this back up...

Seriously looking at the Savage 16 and the Tikka T3x stainless. Right now the Savage 16 package w nikon scope (after $100 rebate) would be around $500. Don' really need the scope, but....

The Tikka would run about $250 more.

Would the Tikka be worth the extra $250?

After seeing the way the Savage shoots, the Tikka would not be worth any more to me.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage with the Accu-trigger would be my choice and I don't buy anything because it's cheaper.
Savage makes a great low cost rifle that is very accurate out of the box.
I haven't had a lot of experience with Tikka, and don't know if their trigger is adjustable or a standard factory trigger. with lots of take up and lots of reset.
Someone else would have to comment on that.
Savages(110s-116s) have the advantage also, that if the boy ever gets tired of the 243 Win and wants to go to the,..say 358 Win or anything in between, all you pretty much need to do the swap at home is a new chambered barrel, a barrel vise/wrench and some go-no go gauges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom