New deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out and handled nearly every bolt action known to man last night. I keep coming back to the Savage 11 or 16. I'm nearly walked out the door with a 16 Trophy Hunter package chambered in 308.

So here's my dilemma... I can get the gun in 308 for $600 flat before rebate or if I want to go 7mm 08 it's going to be about $70 more. What would you all do? The 7mm08 will shoot managed recoil loads better and have less recoil at full strength. I really think it would be better for what I'm wanting.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went out and handled nearly every bolt action known to man last night. I keep coming back to the Savage 11 or 16. I'm nearly walked out the door with a 16 Trophy Hunter package chambered in 308.

So here's my dilemma... I can get the gun in 308 for $600 flat before rebate or if I want to go 7mm 08 it's going to be about $70 more. What would you all do? The 7mm08 will shoot managed recoil loads better and have less recoil at full strength. I really think it would be better for what I'm wanting.

Again, after seeing my buddies small-built daughter shoot the 7mm-08....it would be worth the $70.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy reduced recoil .308 rounds that will have lighter recoil than the 7-08 full power loads.
Designed for recoil sensitive shooters.
As the child grows up, they can advance to the .308 full power.
I don't know which is cheaper as I reload everything I shoot for the most part, but the .308 has a wider selection of bullets than 7mm, and is available everywhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom