1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Diesel owner and a quick question

Discussion in 'Gearheads' started by ifishok, Apr 10, 2019.

1. 918evo

918evo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you plan on getting 500K and don't mind getting dirty, you might as well start working on it. The engine may last that long, but the transmission will fail and you will have lots of leaks and other minor issues. Just google most of your problems and you should be able to fix most things. The turbo pedestal bracket is known for leaking, as is the high pressure oil pump(hpop), so figure out if the leak coming from the front of the engine or the rear. Don't let the fact that it's diesel scare you. There is a bit of a learning curve, but 7.3s are simple to work on compared to most of the newer diesels.

Cowcatcher and Okie4570 like this.
  2. Okie4570

Okie4570 Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    There are several places in the valley that are potential sources for oil leaks. Often times it's just the oring on the yellow water drain spout on the fuel filter. And its diesel seeping and not oil.

Cowcatcher likes this.
  3. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yup, very common. Also if/when you start having injector issues it's probably just the wiring harness in the valve cover gaskets.

4. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My money is the 2 plugs on the HPOP need new O rings. Very common and will happen to all 7.3s after time. If you can see them on the back side of the HPOP, its literally a 5 minute job to fix. Do it before one has a complete blowout or you will be on the side of the road.

5. emapples

emapples Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Dieselworx in Coweta, is if money is no object go to diesel power plus lol

6. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    mine has an oil leak too so I changed those 2 o rings...very simple fix. And I have to change the orings on the fuel filter drain valve every 2-3 years it seems they stay leaking in winter time.

unfortunately my leak is coming from on top near the back of the engine and im afraid its the turbo pedestal...just gonna let that one ride for a little while lol. Got that "self-changing" oil system currently.

Cowcatcher and Okie4570 like this.
  7. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You should order the oring for the HPOP rear plug and replace it yourself whether that is where it is leaking or not, while you're at it order a set of orings for the drain valve on the fuel filter housing because as mentioned already its just a matter of time before they leak and its nice to have a set on hand. The HPOP plug wasn't my problem but the factory oring was in horrible shape (my truck only has 140k miles) and looked ready to give out at any minute. Hardest part about that job is getting the female threads super clean of oil before installing the plug with locktite.