New disease in deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and son in law were telling me they seen something about a new disease deer are catching and are advised not to eat them something about blisters on the inside of the rib cage? Anyone heard of this? The grandsons buck looks normal

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
LANSING, Mich. (KWCH) — Michigan officials say bovine tuberculosis recently was confirmed in a large beef herd.

It’s the 73rd cattle herd to be identified with bovine TB in the state since 1998.

Bovine TB is a bacterial disease that also has infected free-ranging whitetail deer in parts of the northeastern Lower Peninsula.

The Department of Natural Resources says there are signs of bovine TB hunters may observe when field-dressing a deer.

Lesions may develop on the surface of the animal's lungs and chest cavity. In severely infected deer, lesions can sometimes be found throughout the animal's entire body. Tan or yellow lumps may also line the chest wall and be in the lung tissue.

Cattle in Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Oscoda counties must be tested before they are moved off the farm, which can help prevent the illness from spreading.

Assistant State Veterinarian Nancy Barr says farmers in that area should do all they can to prevent deer from having contact with cattle feeding and watering areas.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development will host meetings to discuss the latest findings Oct. 29 in Mio and Nov. 1 in Hillman.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read the same article but don’t take much of what I see online seriously. It seems many of the deer “diseases” originate in Michigan or at least that part of the country. Isn’t that where the first cases of CWD came from?:scratch:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, nothing new. But an outbreak is happening and it can transfer to humans. This is one of the reasons why hunting is a good thing. Large populations or an animal forces them to live in close proximity which facilitates the transfer of disease. Michigan will probably end up increasing the number of deer tags available or allowing hunters to go grab another if it is found to have TB so that they can be thinned out a bit. PETA and the rest of the tree huggers will probably condemn it but it's a fact of life that if they are not thinned out it will get worse and spread while also potentially transferring the TB to herds of cattle that were previously not infected.

Latest posts

Top Bottom