New fawns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 3 fawns are coming in daily with their mother's to hit the feed trough. 4-5 bucks are coming in daily as well to get some feed. The heat is sapping the protein out of the forage so the quality should be going down due to dehydration and the forage is reaching maturity further causing the protein to drop.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still nothing. Does are all back to normal sizes and have not seen a single fawn, yet.

They may just have them hid out right now (at least that's what I'm hoping). I posted a picture of one doe that obviously still looks bred, but the others don't. I've only gotten two fawn on camera out of A BUNCH of does.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retrieverman - My guess is that the does have their fawns hidden, but they will bring them out to see the world soon. My does disappear for a couple weeks then return to the feeder alone. Couple weeks later the speckled butts show up with Mom on my clover or at the feeder. This is best time of the year for my family because we get to watch the youngsters as they interact with the herd and grow. All does with fawns have a hall pass during the coming Fall. The nice bucks are allowed to walk too. We only harvest the cull bucks which may be up to 6 years old. We have a very smart 6 1/2 yr old buck that is always at the right place, but at the wrong time for me to harvest him, grrrr. One classic example was when the "Chili Buck" was out back and, in range, and my wife said I could not harvest him because I needed to keep working as we had a party to finish preparing for. Ain't that special! "Chili" was also ready to start fighting with the "Hartford Buck" and I had a ringside seat for the spectacle. The "Hartford Buck" had not been seen in 2 years and he was back. Life is sometimes not fair.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had no idea they could be this late. I know they can breed in a "second rut" in December if they don't get bred earlier but it seems really odd to have does being bred this late.

Latest posts

Top Bottom